Converting lipo to nimh?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roodillon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a crawler that is lipo. I wish to convert it to nimh. It is safer. I don't feel like blowing myself up. Is it just a matter of an adapter or something similar? I don't know what to do here. Here are pictures of the lead coming from the truck. Thank you.

PS I don't want to turn this into a lipo vs. nimh or why I should keep it lipo thread.
20200516_154517.jpg
20200516_154520.jpg

Go to youtube look up traxxas id plug ..if it was meet id just cut plug wires.. the water trick to dispose a lipo dont work...they must be discharged 1st .I use a lightbulb disharger never fails. then cut or puncher pack.. or bare the 2 wires and connect them DO IT OUTSIDE. lipos dont explode,, they hissss then vent(blow smoke ) then fire consumes battery.while your at youtube lookup nimh battery that blowup seen it b4 .. A`123 dont blowup

You may have to adjust the esc as if it has a low voltage cutoff setting, it will cut your voltage on the NiMH way too early. With lipo's, the cutoff is usually 3V+ per cell. NiMH don't hold they load voltage nearly as well and it will end up stopping you way before they are actually dead otherwise.

Maybe I should just get a lipo battery then? It would be easier. I also got a lipo charger in the deal. It is an IMAX B6 LiPro Balance Charger.

Go to youtube look up traxxas id plug ..if it was meet id just cut plug wires.. the water trick to dispose a lipo dont work...they must be discharged 1st .I use a lightbulb disharger never fails. then cut or puncher pack.. or bare the 2 wires and connect them DO IT OUTSIDE. lipos dont explode,, they hissss then vent(blow smoke ) then fire consumes battery.while your at youtube lookup nimh battery that blowup seen it b4 .. A`123 dont blowup

As long as your not stupid, lipo is fine. Lipo's are an issue when you run them too low, charge them too high, dead short the pack, puncture the pack or pull too many amps.

Pretty sure NiMH's don't react well to over charging or dead shorting the pack either, but they are less likely to burst into flames if you puncture them. If your very afraid of that, find a hard case lipo that fits your truck. Then short of shooting it or hammering a nail into it, it should be fine.

ok here is what I got for $30. I got the transceiver too but lost it when I moved.

Attachments

• 20200516_144042.jpg
    20200516_144042.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200516_144704.jpg
    20200516_144704.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200516_143817.jpg
    20200516_143817.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200516_145643.jpg
    20200516_145643.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 61
Just throwing this out there but, I would double check your gear mesh with the pinion and spur gear. Teeth on the spur gear looks pretty worn down on the back 1/2. You want the both gears lined up as straight as possible and, gap between the 2 gears set correctly. (If you don't know, pinion gear is on the end if the shaft of the motor)

Back