Converting brushed to brushless (Stampede)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgamer

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a Traxxas Stampede I got through a trade. It was brushed and NiMh I only had boring old batteries. So I took my brushless sensorless motor (Reedy 3300Kv) that was on my SC10 and put it on my Stampede. The results were amazing it did wheelies on command and zipped around pretty good. I figured I was probably going to break a spur gear or melt it. But... I broke a drive shaft. I have never liked those plastic driveshafts and shied away from Traxxas beacause of them. My quesstions are what after market drive shaft are there? what gearing ratios? What other ESC, motor, controller, reciever that I can use? What do you use on your Stampede if you have one? What ohter upgrades are there? And maybe a brushless set up fpr my SC10?

I want to go through this car front to back so I can rub it in the guys face I got it from. :p:

Thanks alot for any help.

MIP makes some of the best drive shafts on the market. As far as brushless goes, you might want to look at the Castle Creations Mamba Max. Great ESC that is now water proof and 4-pole motors for more torque.

Four pole motors? I am only familar with three. I didn't know there was such thing.

---------- Post added at 7:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:45 PM ----------

Wow MIP looks like they make good stuff just alittle bit out of my price range...

Whenever I break a stock driveshaft or CVD, I usually upgrade to an MIP unit.

Most of the prior generation of brushless motors were 2-pole designs with less torque.

If you want something to hold you over until you can swing the MIP setup, look at the HD rear shafts from the Slash 4x4. I believe the part # is 6852X, they are much beefier than the stock ones and will be about $20 for a pair. I ran these on my 3.3 powered Rusty for well over a year, I was snapping the stockers left and right.

Is there such a thing as three pole motors? I thought the brushless motors were three phase and thats is why there is the three wires coming off of it and some other stuff inside of the motor.

---------- Post added at 5:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:20 PM ----------

If you want something to hold you over until you can swing the MIP setup, look at the HD rear shafts from the Slash 4x4. I believe the part # is 6852X, they are much beefier than the stock ones and will be about $20 for a pair. I ran these on my 3.3 powered Rusty for well over a year, I was snapping the stockers left and right.

They look like the stock stock drive shafts. What is different abouut them?

They're beefier. Thicker built. Not as flimsy.

With the Castle Creations Mamba Max should I use a fan on any of it? I tend to act like a girl when it comes to heat on my RC cars.

---------- Post added at 7:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:53 PM ----------

The part I broke was the pin that holds the metal piece (I do not know what it is called) into the plastic part.

Back