Converting a Hyper 7 to a GTP

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Heres the deal. I have a Hyper 7 PCR Pro with an RB Concepts WSII. It is wicked fast and I love it. Unfortunately there is absolutely no place to race it here in this craphole of Long Island. However there is a group of guys that run 1/8 scale on road at the Ronkonkoma train stations on Sundays. It's a track set up in the parking lot with fire hoses and such, and I figured that would be better than letting this rig just sit collecting dust.

So, I have been considering converting my buggy to an onroad, which is basically what the GTP is. Does anyone know what parts I would need to do the conversion? Shock towers, shorter shocks, basically what would I need to do this?

I know I would need the obvious, an on road 1/8 body, I was looking at the GTP bodies as well as the Kyosho Inferno GT bodies, theres really not too many choices. And I know I would need some 1/8 on road tires. But I really don't know what else would be required to convert this over.

So if anyone here has done it I would love to hear from ya.

Right, what u need

Front bumper
Front bumper foam
Front body posts
Rear body support (goes where wing fits)
Rear body posts
Bodyshell
Road wheels / tyres

Thats about it.

It's a similar deal with the Thunder Tiger ER1/EB4 S3/EB4 S3 Rally Game platforms. All are based on the same chassis. Same with the EB4 S2 series.

I'm in the midst of converting an EB4 buggy into an on-road/rallygame variant.

I'm sure yours is based on the same chassis as the GTP, so whats listed above should be all you need.

I think so Josh, I would love to be racing it as a buggy, unfortunately there's just no place here to do it. At least if I did the conversion I would be able to enjoy it rather than watch it collecting dust, I'm no Rolex, I like to use my rigs :D . I also thought about selling it, and putting the money towards a 5th scale, but I would probably take a beating on it, I doubt I could even get what I paid just for the WS7II for the whole rig. So for now it sits, still collecting dust. :\ It will be a few more months before I can get around enough to use it anyway, so I am not in a big rush. I just wanted to find out exactly what I would need to do the conversion.

Thanks for the info TTEB4, those are the parts I kind of figure I would need, now I just need to see who sells them (in the US, lol) so I can get an idea of what it will run me to do the conversion, so I can see if it is actually worthwhile doing.

i'll take a look and find out for you joe, will post what i find in here with the prices and a total non inclusive of S&H if that helps.

Thanks bud, but don't go out of your way, like I said, I will still be laid up a few more months, so I am really in no rush.

Bud, i have had so much help from this forum, i will never be able to give back, but i can at least try.

I just did a quick search, and found this link to RC Planet

There are a "Couple" of the parts you would need but not all. However, i am still looking. I am not going out of my way, butr as i said, i am trying to put back into the forum as much help/advice as i can. I have gained a lot of information and help since i have been here.

Anyway, here is the link to the search on RC PLanet >>> Ofna GTP Parts Search

**** ADDITION ****

ok Joe, this should cover ALL your needs. This is a Tower Hobbies Search. EVERY possible part you COULD or WOULD need is listed :)

Heres the link >>> Tower Hobbies Ofna Ultra GTP Spares List

Hope that helps you out bud

Just came up on this thread. I've got a Losi8 buggy that i'm making into an "on-road oval" thanks ThunderTiger that's some info I'm looking for.