Converting 9.5 Violator Buggy to SC Truck...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roozterdvx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm converting an OFNA Violator to short course truck...(just for playing on a backyard track...local track closed :( )
Need some ideas for bumpers and mounting.

got the body painted and mounted, (needs final trimming for bumpers and tires)
AKA wheels on order
haven't decided on tires yet, (still sitting on 1/8 buggy tires)

here's a couple of pics of the progress...

IMAGE_040.jpg

IMAGE_039.jpg

IMAGE_038.jpg

Last edited:
did you have to change much under the hood? any pics?

You may also be able to "make" the front and rear bumper assemblies from an SC8 work.

In the pictures, it looks as if the rear tires don't have far to move before hitting the body. Not much room to gain by trimming either. Any remedy for this worked out? The truck looks great!

"under hood" nothing major really, I bolted adjustable body posts to the shock towers.

as for tire clearance...

there's just over 1/2" between the tire and wheel well right now and the tire hits the body by about 1/8" at full compression...just need to raise the body posts.

I haven't set final body height yet, waiting for the new wheels/tires

also, the Violator buggy is wider than most other buggies, 330mm vs 310mm, but the control arms can be cut to narrow it down to 310mm...I need to find the shorter axle shafts before I cut the arms down to bring the tires in closer

:first_place:Really nice ride there. You gave me a ideal of coverting my revo 3.3 thanks!!!

What size body is that? I have a Mutilator that would look good with an sc body.

If it were me, i would limit the travel of the shocks in order to keep a decently scale appearance of the body, in order to keep it from rubbing.

AKA wheels and Proline Badlands

IMG00007-20110212-0923.jpg

IMG00006-20110212-0923.jpg

I converted one of my 1/8 scale buggies to a SC style body last year. Things you want to look out for:

Body mounts must be very rigid. The first time you land on your lid the mounts will flex and the body will shift front/rear.

Assume your body mounts are rigid enough, you will need to beef up your chassis bracing. I bent three rear shock towers on mine.

Do not run the T-bone bumpers. They do not absorb shock and will cause your chassis to bend. If you can figure out a way to do it, try to make the bumpers from the SC8 or Slash work, they are much more flexible and do absorb shock.

Good luck!

bumpers from a Jammin SCRT10...

IMG00018-20110227-2022.jpg

IMG00021-20110227-2023.jpg

What body mount did you use for the front?? I'm trying to make mines a blazer, and can't find a truck mount for the life of me??? Thanks!!!
The guy that posted this thread over 4 years ago only ever made 5 posts...all of which were in this thread 4 years ago. I dont think hes coming back any time soon to answer this.

What body mount did you use for the front?? I'm trying to make mines a blazer, and can't find a truck mount for the life of me??? Thanks!!!
Try using the body mounts for the Mutilator. The Mutilator is the truggy version of the Violator.

Back