Convert Futaba Controller to USB Joystick

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyercfan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have an old RC10T truck that still works and it has a basic Futaba controller (wheel with pistol grip). My 8 year old daughter has cerebral palsy and enjoys r/c stuff but she can only control the basic “kiddie” stuff that has a forward and back button and a spin button. I believe she could control my old truck if I could convert it to joystick control. I was thinking a basic usb joystick might work best. Is something like this possible and if so, where should I start? Aside from having my truck as a 4-H project in the mid to late 1990s, I have not done much with electronics. I think this project would make an awesome Christmas gift.

They have programs in colleges for that type of stuff. If you were to contact one of them and tell them your situation, I bet they would jump on the opportunity to offer that project to a student. Look for a college that specializes in radio controlled electronics. You might have to supply them with an Rx and Tx as a base unit to work off of. I once saw an RC tank that was controlled like that with single joy stick. That was a very long time ago.

Back