Controlling multiple 12v motors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tautvydas

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, newcomer to rc here.

Here's the situation. I would like to build a rc crawler crane. I have the mechanical parts pretty much figured out, but I have no experience when it comes to rc electronics.
Basically I would like to control six 12V DC worm gear motors. 4 of them would need to be controlled by the joystics of a transmitter (direction and speed control), the other two could be just direction controlled with paddles or buttons (forward/reverse).
As I understand, I would need a transmitter with 6 channels at the very least, a receiver, a battery, and one ESC for each motor, so 6 in total correct?
But what ESC's should I use? The motors seem different (two wires coming out) than those at rc shops (three wires coming out).

Any explanations or part recommendations would be very appreciated.

I would look into servos and servo winches if possible. If its for driving, not to sure. Traxxas has an evx esc that can do 2 brushed 550s at a time, and the even have reverse rotation motors.

Very interested in seeing your buil. What scale are you making it?

Ok to try and get you pointed in correct direction we in this rc hobby use 2 types of motors with different speed controls. 1 is brushed the 2 wires that you have... the 3 wire is brushless .(can be censored or noncensored.) 1 has a slight cog 1 does not(censored 1 does not).. Id think about a 8 channel radio so then you have 2 extra channels for options...

As @Chubaka said, you should just use servos for what you are trying to do instead of individual motors. Then you just need an ESC for the forward/reverse motion. With servos you can set endpoints so they only travel so far then stop, even if you are still sending it a signal. That way you aren't ripping things apart by trying to go to far, or accidentally bump a gimbal after reaching the end of the mechanical travel.

Back