Confused

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radiocardan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi guys

I've just got a proper battery charger and a little tester as well.

I connected my rx battery to the tester and it is telling me it has 26 volts!

I am new to all this but I dont think it should say that should it?

Attachments

• 20201221_182215.jpg
    20201221_182215.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 58
check with another device its a 4 cell nimh thats 1.50 volts a cell max. not the 6.5 volts shown.if it was that high a charge on cells they would have burnt to the ground b4 you could test voltage. battery checker is off big time

check with another device its a 4 cell nimh thats 1.50 volts a cell max. not the 6.5 volts shown.if it was that high a charge on cells they would have burnt to the ground b4 you could test voltage. battery checker is off big time
Thank you, I thought it looked either like a battery shaped bomb or a dodgy test.

I've got a 3s lipo charging atm, ill test that as soon as it completes its charge and see what it reckons that outputs!

It read the 3s Lipo spot on.

Also I noticed when I plug the nimh into the lipo port instead of the dedicated nimh port it reads the nimh as it should with 5.6v and a 75 percent charge which is where I expected it to be.

Very strange, I guess the dedicated port is knackered.

3 cell lipo is 16.6 not 32. one should always have a secondary way to test any battery .. I use a 1157 car bulb with 2 wires soldered on and by lights brightness I can tell a batteries voltage but I've been doing this close to 40 years... and have vast electronics background(MIT, Highland appliance repair tech. and many jobs...)

Attachments

• AA single cell plug.jpg
    AA single cell plug.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 42
I dont recall saying the lipo was 32, 16 or anything else however the numbers on the tester matched what the data sheet for the battery said they should after a full charge so thats good enough for me!

I have none of that background so appreciate the advice!

I've only just got a first way of testing, now I'll get second then : )

The light bulb test is cool, as you say, if you're experienced enough to 'read' it.

Got a what we call a boneyard(not a cemetery) its a auto junk yard.. look for a pre 1974 VW they were 6 V and go pull a brake light bulb with holder and cut wires long and you have a 6v cheap checker. we have a few different tool stores that give a voltmeter away or sell for $4 every other month(Harbor freight)

Back