Confused Need help with Electronics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave NY

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK, I have the car all assembled, Put the electronics in and wired them up properly (I believe) however, when I connect the battery, I get a small spark when the last lead is plugged into the battery, is this normal?

The other issue is that I can't get the steering or throttle to work and I believe I have them wired into the receiver correctly (Steering into channel 1, throttle into channel 2).

What am I missing or doing incorrectly?

Thanks

Dave

The spark is normal. Is your tx and rx still bound together? Dose the servo hold the front wheel straight when it’s on?

I will have to check the binding. Nothing happens to the servo when I turn the TX on. I have a FlySky GT3B TX

make sure rx plugs are in the correct direction. bind radio to rx 1st. then calibrate esc to radio.

Flyskys tend to unbind when disconnected physically sometimes. Mine do it when I redo builds or transfer electronics. Sometimes it happens. Most of the time it don’t.

How do I calibrate the ESC to the Radio?

search esc manual will tell you how there is no 1 way to do all esc.

Binding the TX and RX seemed to correct issue with steering, however, throttle still doesn't work and if I push throttle lever forward, smoke starts to come from motor.

I have verified that A, B, C wires from the ESC are going to the A, B, C lugs on the motor.
I just got the throttle to seem to work properly in that when I pull the trigger, it seems to want to make the motor turn, however it does not turn and will start to smoke if I leave the trigger pulled. I checked and the is some lash between the gears as there is supposed to be so there is no binding between the gears.

Last edited:
The ESC is a Hobbywing Xerun, the motor is a Tekin 2763 Gen4 SpecR Sensored Brushless Motor (13.5T)

Do you have sensor wire hooked up?

Yes, the sensor wire is hooked up. I checked and it appears that it can only be put in one way, I thought maybe it was reversed but it appears to be be correct.

No, I can turn the gear freely with my finger

Tomorrow I am going to remove the motor and make sure the screws are short enough as to not be causing any interference and ensure that all of the drivetrain is free spinning.

sounds like motor mount screws are to long and stopping it from turning... remove motor from mount do a bench test without being mounted to car

tntpoof,

I have taken the motor out, taken the screws out of the motor mount and verified that they aren't too long, re calibrated the ESC and the motor still doesn't run.

The LED on the ESC switch is Red after calibration is completed which is not correct. If I unplug the battery and plug it back in the LED on the ESC Blinks Red as soon as I turn on the ESC.

Update: I pulled the sensor wire from the motor and it runs fine however the Red LED still blinks on the ESC even after recalibrating it.

Last edited:
red blinky not sure what that means? i dont think esc is calibrated to radio..we can all guess what issue is.thought hw need a green light to be calibrated ..i dont run them check radios trim setting try to recalibrate with fully charged battery

The battery is fully charged and I have recalibrated it several times. I have sent a help request to Hobbywing but haven't heard anything back yet. I think it odd that unplugging the sensor wire made the motor work properly.

The battery is fully charged and I have recalibrated it several times. I have sent a help request to Hobbywing but haven't heard anything back yet. I think it odd that unplugging the sensor wire made the motor work properly.
With sensored motors, the 3 main A-B-C wires between the motor and ESC have to be wired properly (A to A, B to B, C to C) or when in sensored mode, it doesn't spin, just vibrates angrily. I had the same issue when I got my first (and only) sensored system. I have the castle mamba monster X and their 1515/2200kv sensored motor. I thought I had the 3 motor wires going to the proper ports on the esc, but I didn't. I had 2 of them backwards.

On an unsensored system, you can have them however you want, but on sensored, they have to be a specific way. If you need to change the direction of the motor relative to your transmitter, you have to do it in the programming of the ESC. With an unsensored, you can just flip 2 of the motor wires and it will change it's direction.

The only other thing I can think is that the tekin motor isn't compatible with the hobbywing esc. Or they don't have A-B-C the same.