Computer question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon2

Nitro ASSpired!!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Trying to install XP onto a used Laptop I got. Only thing I found out was that the previous user placed a password for the Administrator.

The crappy thing is I ripped the hard drive out and erased the partition and formatted it. Now the only way I can get this to work is to log on as admin.

Any ideas on how to get through this? any programs that will do this? Any procedure?

Computer Geeks unite!!!

What do you mean only the admin account works? You can setup other user accounts through control panel.....

What do you mean only the admin account works? You can setup other user accounts through control panel.....

The harddrive has been wiped out externally. I have formatted it NTFS form. Put it back in the laptop but the Admin account is password protected. This particular laptop gives you two options.. Enter Set up or force CD ROM boot.

I take it that the BIOS has disabled the use of botting up via CD rom.

So how do I do this?

WOW - this makes no sense to me at all.

You've deleted the partition and re-formatted it - this to me sounds like a clean install of XP on your part is it not? If that's the case then there would be no admin password unless YOU set one.

-Michael

The harddrive has been wiped out externally. I have formatted it NTFS form. Put it back in the laptop but the Admin account is password protected. This particular laptop gives you two options.. Enter Set up or force CD ROM boot.

I take it that the BIOS has disabled the use of botting up via CD rom.

So how do I do this?

Thats odd that after formatting the drive there is still a password to the admin account in XP?? Could it be a bios password? If you fully formatted the drive and installed XP from scratch any admin passwords should be wiped.

sounds like a hard drive password or bios password to me. this could get interesting

I have never had the reason to reset a bios password on a laptop... but I would suppose depending on model there might be a way to wipe the bios password. If that is your problem.

sounds like a hard drive password or bios password to me. this could get interesting

That is it Beason.

I HAD the Admin password protected but that is actually not the problem. Worded that wrong.

How do I get passed it now? I have only formatted the drive for storage only. That is it. Xp install is still waiting to be done. I need to access the BIOS and it is password protected. For a personal laptop I think it is rediculous.

jon,

Setting a password for on the BIOS makes perfect sense - another layer of security.

To reset it you're going to have to pull the motherboard battery out or find the reset BIOS jumper on the motherboard. Either way you're pulling the laptop apart. Most newer laptops are really easy to get to, just remove the keyboard and you're pretty much there. Check the manufactures website to see if they have a manual on how to do such thing.

There are BIOS password crackers but I don't recommend them, most dont work and a few are even known to screw up your bios.

-Michael

jon,

Setting a password for on the BIOS makes perfect sense - another layer of security.

To reset it you're going to have to pull the motherboard battery out or find the reset BIOS jumper on the motherboard. Either way you're pulling the laptop apart. Most newer laptops are really easy to get to, just remove the keyboard and you're pretty much there. Check the manufactures website to see if they have a manual on how to do such thing.

There are BIOS password crackers but I don't recommend them, most dont work and a few are even known to screw up your bios.

-Michael

That sucks. I really don't want to take this thing apart as it is probably 3-5 years old. So if anything breaks...its done. I did remove the mother board battery cell out but that had no effect. Wish it did.

Thanks Woodie for the input.

...I did remove the mother board battery cell out but that had no effect. Wish it did.

Thanks Woodie for the input.

Did you remove the main battery, located on the bottom of the laptop or the battery actually located on the motherboard? There's a difference!

-Michael

Did you remove the main battery, located on the bottom of the laptop or the battery actually located on the motherboard? There's a difference!

-Michael

Bottom chief. Great I have to take this thing off for sure now.

Let me guess; a thinkpad? Had one, they can be a BEAR to clear the password. They have three levels: user, hard drive, and admin. User, you short two pins out while booting, and it's done. Any of the other two requires parts replacement.

Actually, if it the password in question is either harddrive or admin, nothing short of parts replacement or password sniffing (difficult!) is the course of action. If you're sure it's an admin password, that's the overall worst, because to "clear" it, it takes mainboard replacement.

Your other option, if your soldering skills are half-way decent, is to make a "boot dumper" (using instructions at this site http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/ ) which will cost on the order of $50 for parts and to have a guy decode a file for you. You will also need a second computer with a DB9 serial port.

Hope that helps!

boot up in safe mode, by pressing 1 of the f buttons, and format all of the HD. then install windows in it

i bought a computer yesterday at an auction and it has the same problem sucks....mine is a password before the windows starts up I'm taking it to some guy to fix he said 20.00 gets it fixed.....we got some good smart guys here i just get lost in all this stuff...good luck on your repair

I did F disk it externally and the BIOS password stillll stopped me.

I then took Woodies advice and took it apart and found there is no jumper but a CMOS battery that was soldered on. I removed it and left it off for about 7 hours. I placed it back on and then got a CMOS checksum error.

Till now I have no progress and now it will not boot up at all. I have walked away and will wait till I get some patience back.

I recall some one on this board..had a similar problem..
I think he fixed his using a potato gun?

Good luck brother......I would have thrown it in the yard.Then mowed it over with the riding mower...:LoL:

That laptop would make good target for handgun practice..

I got a computer guy that could fix it for you..

The potato gun might just make things bounce around and fix it. I'd try that one. haha

If I got it FREE I would. I have spent some cash on getting it run. LOL

Any other ideas?? Zandor... I may send it your way as a WTF present.

Back