Computer networking issue (Printer Server)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I have a print server thats hooked up and going just fine.
I'm using a 3 port server with parallel connectors.

I recently got a printer that I would like to hook up to replace an older one. The new one is USB only. I have found a few USB print servers but don't want to complicate the network with more servers. Is dialed in and running just fine.

Has anyone seen a USB* to parallel** adapter.
Before you say yes and shoot me a bunch of links, I'm not looking for a Parallel to USB, its the other way around. Printer end is USB...

Thanks for any info you may be able to find.

Those types of connections are usuall used for TCP/Ip networking, And I think you might actully have to go buy an adapter. Usually well-known-brand routers will have parallel AND USB connections on them somewhere...

Unfortuanately, I have never seen this type of connection. I once had a printer with a weird looking end on it, about six years ago before I know a damn thing about networking, turns out I just threw the thing away. I would sugest checking with CompUSA Or OfficeDepot, they ought to have what you are looking for.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out?

I read that yesterday from a google search.
I was hoping someone would have better news for me.
A USB hub may be the only way to go. Errr...
Thanks for the time to find that..

have you already bought the printer?
if not maby look into a network printer with a cat 5 plug or a wireless network printer if you have a wireless router then you can leave your working printers alone and just setup the new one

I picked up 3 HP 1012s brand new for $100.00 total.
One for invoices, one for checks, and one for UPS and USPS Labels.

I now have a Xerox, Old HP, and an Oki. It would be nice to have everything match. Ill just have to go get a USB server i guess. Its a shame because I have a 5 port parallel server that works just fine. Maybe its time to upgrade to current technology.

you old foagy.. lol still using parallel !! :points and laughs:.. yea man the usb will be quicker, and the printers will to..

100 bux huh.. you wont be able to replace the cartriges for that.. well YOU may be able to but not the average person..

Considering he sells ink for printers I don't think that will be a big problem.

FastEddy, Let me check at work tomarrow and see what I can find. You want to plug a USB into a parallel port print server correct ?

This is exactly what I want to do.
If it matters, its an HP 1012 laser and a Lynksys multi port server

I don't blame ya :). I searched, and all that came up was USB port -> printer cables. However, there was one adapter that is what you're lookin for, but it's for an oscilloscope.

edit: after looking for nearly an hour or so, the literal best I could find was a USB/Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the parallel style printer.

Hate to say it man, but ya might be forced to upgrade the print server. :shrug:

Last edited:
Ok I can get the adapters if your print server has the 9 pin female connector,but we don't stock them. They are around 14.00 EA and customers that have used them say they are flakey (work on some printers but not others)

Looks like it would be better to just go with the new print server.

I can order the adapter if you want to try it.Let me know.

Thanks for all the help.
I'm going to get a new server :(

One would think this is a common issue and their would be a fix out there that is dependable. O-well......

Back