Computer Issue/Chrome Issue or Both?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So last night I was doing my usual internet surfing when suddenly my connection froze up. I could not do anything online. After a lengthy call using my ISP's automated system,nothing resolved the issue and then I was put on hold to talk to a real person. Got tired of waiting and went to bed.

Now tonight,I turned on my computer(I shut everything down every night) and the first thing I noticed is all of my desktop icons are scattered around. I rearranged them back where they were then clicked my Chrome link. Now my browser window is all plain-jane old looking and I have to reduce the size to 80% to make the words the size I'm used to.

Any ideas on what the heck is going on here? Nobody else here claims to have been on the computer.

I've seen this happen with a bad video driver. Are you running the most current version of the video driver?

Check your graphics card driver. Would you be able to post a screenshot?

I've had to reinstall chrome a couple times after it got messed up. Both times after trying adblocker which everyone loves but for some reason for me it just causes havoc. Recently chrome has started to suck for streaming for me with netflix and pandora, but youtube is okay. I've starting using IE for pandora and netflix because chrome always stutters now. Do you have up to date anti malware or antivirus programs running? I'd update and do a full scan if I were you. Video drivers are a good thing to check as well.

Just curious, did you accidentally change your zoom when in chrome? I think ctrl+0 will set it back to default. If you have the ctrl key pressed and use the scroll wheel, it zooms automatically.

I don't use chrome much except for browser testing at work. I'm a diehard firefox user. :)

Just curious, did you accidentally change your zoom when in chrome? I think ctrl+0 will set it back to default. If you have the ctrl key pressed and use the scroll wheel, it zooms automatically.

I don't use chrome much except for browser testing at work. I'm a diehard firefox user. :)
If it's effected his desktop then it won't be this.

Check your graphics card driver. Would you be able to post a screenshot?

What kind of screenshot do want to see?

No,like I said above,every new page I visit I have to reduce the zoom in Chrome to 80% to get the size I am used to seeing at 100%

As for driver updates,I am sure they are probably not the latest. When Microsoft was trying to forcibly put Windows 10 on my computer I turned off all automatic updating.

There's your problem. What brand of video card are you using or is it integrated video?

What kind of screenshot do want to see?

No,like I said above,every new page I visit I have to reduce the zoom in Chrome to 80% to get the size I am used to seeing at 100%

As for driver updates,I am sure they are probably not the latest. When Microsoft was trying to forcibly put Windows 10 on my computer I turned off all automatic updating.
Take a screen shot of your desktop, chrome- anything that's effected by the issue.

There's your problem. What brand of video card are you using or is it integrated video?

It's an integrated chipset. When I tried to update it said there weren't any available. Also while trying to check things out I got a message that said there is a problem with the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface? Whatever the heck that is.

Now today,I can't even start Chrome. It say "Application failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect". Whatever that means too. Now I am using the only other browser on my computer which is Avast Safe Zone Browser. I have been using Avast anti-virus for a long time but didn't even know this browser existed. Again though I have to reduce the zoom to make it look like I want it to but it is otherwise working well for me.

You might try downloading the driver from the motherboard manufacturer and install it again.

You might try downloading the driver from the motherboard manufacturer and install it again.
Chances are it's intel integrated on the CPU not motherboard integrated. I highly doubt his PC is that old to have motherboard graphics. Reinstall chrome and get the latest drivers.

What version of windows is it? I wonder if you messed with your windows zoom.

Windows 7
2016-1031-Windows7-TextAdjust.jpg

Windows 10
2016-1031-Windows10-TextAdjust.jpg

What version of windows is it? I wonder if you messed with your windows zoom.

For the record my computer is an HP Pavilion with dual core 2.2ghz processors and 3 gigs of RAM. It was originally a Vista machine now running Windows 7 Home.
I don't know how it got changed but you nailed that Olds,Thanks! Somehow it was set on 125%. At least the sizing is good again,still looks plain-jane old school graphic wise.

I have to still figure out a few things but so far I am liking this Avast browser. It's working better than Chrome has for a LONG LONG time.

I was having some issues with FireFox a few weeks ago and that's the ONLY browser I've used for over 10 years. I couldn't get it to cooperate by uninstalling and reinstalling it so I tried Chrome. Had some other problems with Chrome, including some scareware.
I looked around and tried Comodo Ice Dragon. That's what I'm using now. No problems. You might want to check it out.

I don't know how it got changed but you nailed that Olds,Thanks! Somehow it was set on 125%. At least the sizing is good again,still looks plain-jane old school graphic wise.

One of my workers at the office messed with that setting too, then didn't know how to change it back.

As for your old look/feel, robably just using a weak theme vs a windows 7 one or something. Right click your desktop, click Personalization. Then you can pick one of the Aero themes. I'm guessing your on Windows Classic or W7 Basic.

I was having some issues with FireFox a few weeks ago and that's the ONLY browser I've used for over 10 years. I couldn't get it to cooperate by uninstalling and reinstalling it so I tried Chrome. Had some other problems with Chrome, including some scareware.
I looked around and tried Comodo Ice Dragon. That's what I'm using now. No problems. You might want to check it out.
If you're getting dodgy adverts and issues with both, have you considered it could be your side?

I have serious protection in place on this computer. I built it in 2012 and it's still fast and rock solid. I ran full system scans with Avast, MalwareBytes, Adaware and a couple of others. Nothing found.

I have serious protection in place on this computer. I built it in 2012 and it's still fast and rock solid. I ran full system scans with Avast, MalwareBytes, Adaware and a couple of others. Nothing found.
I think it's probably just a PEBKAC error, @Rolex. I've run the latest major browsers (Firefox, Edge, Chrome and Vivaldi (a Chromium-based browser). The one thing that I've noticed that causes errors with any of them is plug-ins.

I think it's probably just a PEBKAC error, @Rolex. I've run the latest major browsers (Firefox, Edge, Chrome and Vivaldi (a Chromium-based browser). The one thing that I've noticed that causes errors with any of them is plug-ins.
I checked for the PEBKAC error. That's always the first thing I look for. I've also done the full system scan for a 1D-10T error. Nothing there, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.