Competitive RC Truck models:

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swordkd

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So, looking to get the wife into RC racing with me. I've got a Schumacher Laydown 2 2wd buggy and Schumacher Cat L1 4wd buggy, but am wanting to get her either a 2wd/4wd stadium truck or short course truck to complement. She isn't super hot on the Schumacher Storm for whatever reason, so what are some of the other models/brands that are competitive? I'm not worried about electronics at this time, just base models that won't get shut out due to design flaws(Traxxas Bandit in a buggy class type of thing).

TLR, Team Associated, and Tekno make some very nice race-grade vehicles. For competitive racing, I wouldn't really go with a Traxxas vehicle, as they aren't designed to be race vehicles and lack some of the fine-tuning adjustments in stock form. The TLR Tuned Arrma Typhon seems like a good entry-level racing 4wd buggy, though it is a fairly new vehicle, so I'm not certain on how it compares with other similar speced vehicles.

TLR, Team Associated, and Tekno make some very nice race-grade vehicles. For competitive racing, I wouldn't really go with a Traxxas vehicle, as they aren't designed to be race vehicles and lack some of the fine-tuning adjustments in stock form. The TLR Tuned Arrma Typhon seems like a good entry-level racing 4wd buggy, though it is a fairly new vehicle, so I'm not certain on how it compares with other similar speced vehicles.
Team Associated isn't like it used to be. See where I live in New Jersey team Associated is pretty much a brand that's not really popular. It used to be when they had the old rc10gt and the Nitro stuff back in the day.

Now as far as Traxxas some of their older cars you can actually fix them up where they can be competitive ready. The only difference is you have to put the money into that.

I wouldn't use their engines for competitive racing. As they somewhat have issues. I don't know much about the electric but I can tell you the tRX 3.3 nitro engine is kind of a pain. The Piston gets stuck at top dead center the easy starts are not really reliable as the battery life can be drain quickly.

So some ways better broaden the argument there are brands that cheap out within the last years. We'll see used to give you a really good radio system computerized with a LCD screen. Now they just give you a cheap radio system.

I seen the change within the last 14 to 15 years.

Do you really want something competitive probably should get a kit but then the money for the kit is expensive. As well as the stuff you got to buy to complete the kit.

They would be popular exact same way has Traxxas that some of these other brands like arma is today. Plus a lot of stuff is kind of first party base serve.

My suggestion and this is just my opinion go with Losi or traxxas something that's more within a hobby shop range. As well as online range as far as easier to get parts.

Whatever you choose is up to you.

Last edited:
Aside from Losi, Associated, and Tekno mentioned above you can also look at Xray, serpent, and hot bodies,

I'm not as concerned about price. Used isn't a bad option either. My comment about Traxxas was merely meant to point out the motor placement on the Bandit pretty much rules out competitive racing even with similarly specced components and driver skill.

I'm familiar with Team Losi and Associated, as well as Schumacher obviously. Kyosho any good? All the other brands are new to me.

I'm not as concerned about price. Used isn't a bad option either. My comment about Traxxas was merely meant to point out the motor placement on the Bandit pretty much rules out competitive racing even with similarly specced components and driver skill.

I'm familiar with Team Losi and Associated, as well as Schumacher obviously. Kyosho any good? All the other brands are new to me.
Kyosho is also a brand with competitive rigs

kyosho ya. mp9 buggy and neo 3.0 buggy and other products

Back