Comparing LiPos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Updated OP

Note: Testing, while not speedy, is definitely moving at a much better pace now with the last changes to the testing process :)
Ill have the final results from the first two lipos today.

Last edited:

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So a few people have made various comments here and there about various tests I've done with Deans on 8S and during high current discharges about the connectors reaching temps sometimes as high as 170ish degrees. Well, for anyone interested I have also observed EC5s reaching as high as 177F in a 80A continuous draw that lasted 3min 41sec. Deans reach roughly the same max temps in these tests. Thought Id share that as I'm assuming some of you may be surprised by this. I know I was. :)

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Testing on Goldbat Champion 5200mAh 100C and Youme Power 5200mAh 50C testing completed. Spread sheet has been updated HERE.

Speaking of the spreadsheet I have added color coded conditional formatting to the Average Voltage Under Load column. I figured this needed to be done since racers, speed runners, etc arent going to care about anything else. Oddly enough out of the 3 LiPos on the chart now The Goldbat Champion scored the worst overall and the worst value rating yet has the highest voltage under load. I'm guessing it has something to do with pack chemistry?

I also added a new column "Abnormalities found with pack?". If I find anything wrong or odd with the pack I will note it on the test sheet for that particular LiPo. I can't note it in the spread sheet so if it says "Yes" in that column you'll have to go look at the hand written notes on the test sheet for that LiPo. So far the only abnormalities found have just been with cheap construction. For example the Tindling pack if you shake it, you can feel the cells shift around in side of the pack. This column isnt only limited to physical oddities it could be anything that is out of the "norm" with the pack.

Next batteries are Povway 5200mAh 50C and The Goldbat Gold Racing 5200mAh 50C batteries. I swear these packs are clones of one another. Not only do they look virtually identical with the same specs but so far even the testing numbers are so far pretty damn close too. The Goldbat pack does come with a battery strap though just like their Champion line but these two packs are shaping up to be two of the worst packs yet. At least so far. We shall see, its early in the tests to say for sure. I decided to do two more really cheap packs before moving on to more interesting packs just to make sure I'm comfortable with my process.

20211012_174448.jpg
20211012_174456.jpg

20211012_174748.jpg

20211012_174806.jpg

pug

RCNT Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Testing on Goldbat Champion 5200mAh 100C and Youme Power 5200mAh 50C testing completed. Spread sheet has been updated HERE.

Speaking of the spreadsheet I have added color coded conditional formatting to the Average Voltage Under Load column. I figured this needed to be done since racers, speed runners, etc arent going to care about anything else. Oddly enough out of the 3 LiPos on the chart now The Goldbat Champion scored the worst overall and the worst value rating yet has the highest voltage under load. I'm guessing it has something to do with pack chemistry?

I also added a new column "Abnormalities found with pack?". If I find anything wrong or odd with the pack I will note it on the test sheet for that particular LiPo. I can't note it in the spread sheet so if it says "Yes" in that column you'll have to go look at the hand written notes on the test sheet for that LiPo. So far the only abnormalities found have just been with cheap construction. For example the Tindling pack if you shake it, you can feel the cells shift around in side of the pack. This column isnt only limited to physical oddities it could be anything that is out of the "norm" with the pack.

Next batteries are Povway 5200mAh 50C and The Goldbat Gold Racing 5200mAh 50C batteries. I swear these packs are clones of one another. Not only do they look virtually identical with the same specs but so far even the testing numbers are so far pretty damn close too. The Goldbat pack does come with a battery strap though just like their Champion line but these two packs are shaping up to be two of the worst packs yet. At least so far. We shall see, its early in the tests to say for sure. I decided to do two more really cheap packs before moving on to more interesting packs just to make sure I'm comfortable with my process.

View attachment 134942 View attachment 134943
View attachment 134944
View attachment 134945
I got a POVWAY 3s LiPo, it works fine for my needs, I am probably gonna upgrade to a CNHL 120c 3s.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Really like being able to see these in a spread sheet. Looks like everything is working out so far. :thumbs-up:
I'm really happy with the way its shaping up so far.

I got a POVWAY 3s LiPo, it works fine for my needs, I am probably gonna upgrade to a CNHL 120c 3s.
Yeah, any of em will work for bashing purposes. Eventually you'll be able to have a good idea what packs have the best value for your dollar. That will probably be one of the more important statistics for bashers I'm assuming.

Edough13

RCNT Addict
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling

View attachment 134942 View attachment 134943
View attachment 134944
View attachment 134945
I'm not surprised, I have that same povway 3s pack and a 3s 7200mAh and they are horrible I get like 5 mins run time and they trigger lvc which is set at 3.4v definitely some of the worst lipos I've had! Also the 7200mAh pack only takes about 3500mAh from 3.5v so it's maybe a 5000mAh pack.
Let me know if you are going to order as I'm sponsored by CNHL so I can get ya a 15% off coupon code to help ya save some money👍🏼 just message me as I can't leave a link as it's considered advertising and against the rules of the forum.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Let me know if you are going to order as I'm sponsored by CNHL so I can get ya a 15% off coupon code to help ya save some money👍🏼 just message me as I can't leave a link as it's considered advertising and against the rules of the forum.
I had already ordered one of the black and orange racing packs and a G+ pack before I found any of this out. If I go to add any other packs from them though I'll definitely hit you up. 👍

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Next pair of batteries has been completed and added to the list. All updated files and spreadsheet are available HERE.

Just as I suspected the Goldbat Gold Racing and the Povway batteries are basically clones of one other and are terrible batteries. The worst so far although we are still early in to testing. The two batteries are not only similar in appearance but in performance, weight, price, avg IRs etc.

One thing I'm seeing that I'm a bit concerned about is the fact that the worst performing and cheapest price packs are the ones that are scoring highest in the "Value Rating" Category. I suppose the cheapest is going to always be the "best value" because technically any lipo will work but thats not really what I guess I wanted this category to be. In retrospect I guess what I really wanted this category to be is "best bang for your buck thats still a decent battery". For example, I wouldnt recommend anyone buy a Povway or a Goldbat Gold Racing LiPo yet so far theyre coming out on top in the "best value" category. Problem is I'm not sure how to calculate "best bang for your buck thats still a decent battery". I'm going to have to give this some thought and maybe rework the formulas in the spreadsheet to more accurately represent what I wanted that category to be. If thats even possible. I welcome any feedback that you guys have on this.

Moving on... Next 2 LiPos in the ring are the ZOP Power 5000mAh 40C vs the SMC True Spec DV 5200mAh 75C LiPo. It feels a little like I'm pitting Rocky Balboa against Apollo Creed only I'm not betting on any upsets here lol. I'm quite certain that this SMC LiPo will be the best performer yet. Or will it?! At any rate with all these super low end budget LiPos I've tested I figure its high time we threw in a proven performer. I know my personal experience with these LiPos has always been extremely good and I dont think SMC will disappoint. Well see if its worth the $30 price tag though :)

20211015_103548.jpg
20211015_095114.jpg

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
Bang for buck is tricky. maybe figure out MAH, per dollar etc. Heck I'm probably the worst person to try and figure this out. 🤣 Math and I never were close friends. Formulas are Math's cousin.

pug

RCNT Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Next pair of batteries has been completed and added to the list. All updated files and spreadsheet are available HERE.

Just as I suspected the Goldbat Gold Racing and the Povway batteries are basically clones of one other and are terrible batteries. The worst so far although we are still early in to testing. The two batteries are not only similar in appearance but in performance, weight, price, avg IRs etc.

One thing I'm seeing that I'm a bit concerned about is the fact that the worst performing and cheapest price packs are the ones that are scoring highest in the "Value Rating" Category. I suppose the cheapest is going to always be the "best value" because technically any lipo will work but thats not really what I guess I wanted this category to be. In retrospect I guess what I really wanted this category to be is "best bang for your buck thats still a decent battery". For example, I wouldnt recommend anyone buy a Povway or a Goldbat Gold Racing LiPo yet so far theyre coming out on top in the "best value" category. Problem is I'm not sure how to calculate "best bang for your buck thats still a decent battery". I'm going to have to give this some thought and maybe rework the formulas in the spreadsheet to more accurately represent what I wanted that category to be. If thats even possible. I welcome any feedback that you guys have on this.

Moving on... Next 2 LiPos in the ring are the ZOP Power 5000mAh 40C vs the SMC True Spec DV 5200mAh 75C LiPo. It feels a little like I'm pitting Rocky Balboa against Apollo Creed only I'm not betting on any upsets here lol. I'm quite certain that this SMC LiPo will be the best performer yet. Or will it?! At any rate with all these super low end budget LiPos I've tested I figure its high time we threw in a proven performer. I know my personal experience with these LiPos has always been extremely good and I dont think SMC will disappoint. Well see if its worth the $30 price tag though :)

View attachment 135030 View attachment 135031
I tested my 3s POVWAY by speed running it with my 3s Typhon. I was going downhill and it only went 45 mph, the battery really limits it. I don’t recommend the POVWAY or Goldbat for going fast, it’s good for limiting speed for younger kids.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I tested my 3s POVWAY by speed running it with my 3s Typhon. I was going downhill and it only went 45 mph, the battery really limits it. I don’t recommend the POVWAY or Goldbat for going fast, it’s good for limiting speed for younger kids.
lol, sounds about right

olds97_lss

RCNT VIP
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Not sure if you have gmail or not, but you could put this in a google sheet, then you don't have to keep uploading spreadsheets, just edit the existing and make it view only to public.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Not sure if you have gmail or not, but you could put this in a google sheet, then you don't have to keep uploading spreadsheets, just edit the existing and make it view only to public.
I do have gmail and I did initially plan on using Google Drive but excel spreadsheets can't be imported into google sheets like Word docs can be imported in to Google Docs.. I may just recreate the spreadsheet in a google sheet but at the time when I made the excel spreadsheet I did so because A) I didnt know if google sheets have all the same features as excel and B) I'm already familair with excel and at the time just wanted to bust out a spreadsheet. Now that I'm looking more closely at google sheets Ill probably eventually take the time to figure out how to recreate my excel sheet in google since it does appear to have most if not all of the same functionality.

I have to upload all of the test files anyway so uploading an updated spreadsheet is only an extra 2 clicks and a drag and drop. That being said it might be more handy for the end user so I probably will transition it over when I feel like trying to figure out where all the options/functions etc are in google sheets. Some of them are obvious but some are not. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
SMC and ZOP Power batteries have been completed and added to the list. All updated files and spreadsheet are available HERE.

So the take away from this pair was SMC performed a little worse than I expected and ZOP actually performed a little better than I expected. So both batteries came in at just over the 4900mAh mark but at SMC claims to be 5200 and the ZOP only claims to be 5000.

The SMC came in with the highest true C rating yet out of the batteries tested but is horribly short of its 75C claims. The ZOP just like all the LiPos came in under its rated C rating also and even though it only claimed to be 40C it scored 17C overall which is only better than 2 out of the other 6 batteries tested.

The SMC scored the highest yet in voltage sag under load which I figured it would given the performance I've seen from them in other packs I've used. The ZOP scored middle of the road here out of the lipos tested so far. which was a bit of a surprise.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On to other updates. After the initial testing done so far I've decided to change the scoring system for True C Rating. Instead of scores being based on penalties for the discrepancy in stated C rating vs true C rating I'm instead going to just focus on giving the highest scores to the packs with the best C ratings. Since all the manufacturers (at least so far) seem to be exaggerating their C ratings I'm just going to leave the stated C rating field in the spreadsheet just to raise awareness of how badly overstated C Ratings are but the True C rating score is just going to be the based on the average true C rating of the pack times five. I put the x5 multiplier in there just to bring the scores up to be more comparable with the other scores.

I have previously voiced some concern about The Value Rating and it not being what I had initially intended it to be. I have decided to leave that alone. The data is what the data is. In terms of the Value Rating I really feel like this needs to be weighed in comparison to the other performance specs on a person by person basis because the way this category is trending so far its basically cheapest pack wins because technically any of the packs will work. Personally I would never recommend the really cheap packs to anyone. Initially I was looking for more of a best value for your money that is not a piece of hot trash. That being said I'm leaving it up to the end user to weigh all the data for themselves.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next battle royale is between the Ovonic 5200mAh 50C and the Dynamite Reaction 5000mAh 50C LiPos. The Dynamite is by far the most expensive LiPo I've tested yet so its got so big expectations placed on it! The Dynamite battery costs almost $47 vs the Ovonic at $20. We'll see what happens here! The Ovonic even comes with stickers. You would think for $47 Dynamite could have at least thrown in some stickers too! 🤣
20211016_143834.jpg

20211016_143753.jpg

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
One of the breakers on my high current discharger seems to be intermittently messing up. It will kick out for like 5 seconds and then kick back in without actually throwing the breaker lever. It shouldnt be doing this at all its a 100A breaker and only carries about 35A of current max. I ordered a replacement. I dont look forward to tearing that freaking thing apart though. Gonna be a lot of work. :(

pug

RCNT Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
You should try CNHL Lipos if possible, they have a high c rating for a good price.