COLD Weather Vs. Nitro motor!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well pretty much it has been very cold out lately and i want to use my Savage 25. Is there a temperature limit for how cold i should run this thing in? it is currently like single digits and neg. wind chill.

I have a temp gun and i will wrap the aluminum head. I'm just wondering if its all in the tune. as long as its rich it should be safe right? Last night it was like 4 degrees before the wind chill and i had it running pretty good, i had it wrapped very good with the body off the truck it hit 230 degrees.

I'm asking because if i remember correctly i seen a video of a savage 4.6 running in like Negative 20 degree weather with chains on the wheels... but I'm not sure and i can't check at work, no flash... so any input would be great apreciated.

Don't wrap it too much, if you can get good performance around 200F with good smoke, that would be my goal.

Personally, I won't run when it's 20F or below. Too cold, plastic too brittle, tune too erratic, fingers too cold.

Supposed to get up to 26 here tomorrow... 26F with 8 inches of fluffy powder on the ground that's pretty fresh with another 2-3 inches tomorrow! Gots to get out and bust some plastic!

Don't wrap it too much, if you can get good performance around 200F with good smoke, that would be my goal.

i used alot of foil when i wrapped it, its like probly 10 plain white paper sheets thick of alunium foil. But and it had some pick up down low, not much but it had nothing up high it would shift into 2nd, but i just got it running the first time this year. Maybe i have too much foil because it probly wasn't that lean if it didnt even rev out all the way. but yet the temp got to 230 after a few WOT runs.

I just want to play with it so bad :) lol

i have been running my 3.3 maxx in idaho (right now its 22F outside) and its been a bit hard to get running right. it gets up through 1st but hardly goes into 2nd and like olds97_lss said the tune is all over the place. still fun though need to do something inbetween classes :)

i have been running my 3.3 maxx in idaho (right now its 22F outside) and its been a bit hard to get running right. it gets up through 1st but hardly goes into 2nd and like olds97_lss said the tune is all over the place. still fun though need to do something inbetween classes :)

ok, well it has been single digits before wind chill for me, and i couldnt really get it in 2nd gear either, it will spin the tires a lil off take off when i floor it, but then it probly only gets to a max of 20mph. i think i can get more out of it, maybe i should take a little bit of foil off so i can lean it out with out getting too hot. ie was 230 in 6 degree weather with all the foil idk...

remember, dont lean it just to get the temps up. It wont provide enough lubrication and you will smoke your engine.

If it's that cold out you should probably use a heat gun or blow dryer to cool it a little slower. Just my 2 cents.

after i run it i bring it right back inside and knock the snow and whatever out of the wheels and such so the heat difference is not as bad when cooling down. and its running a little rich and right now cause the engine was tuned for sea level like a week ago

the motor is fine if you wrap it right, id worry about the fuel gelling up.

Who cares! i'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new engine! Lean em' out and blow em' up! J/K

the motor is fine if you wrap it right, id worry about the fuel gelling up.

Well i think i had it rich enough, but i wrapped the head too much last time, so now i took half of the alunimum off so it will be thinner. I had it rich enough that right near the muffler on the frame it had almost gell like fuel. kinda weird.

Is the fuel only good in certain temps?

traxxas says not to take their fuel out when its pretty cold out but i have never had it gel up on me. i have even left my fuel in the bottle over night outside over christmas break and i brought it b back in and it was just fine.

rc problems please help!!!!!!!

I am having a problem with my rc savage xl. The following occurs I can't get it to shift out of 1st and it won't hit 2nd or 3rd. I have put five tanks of fuel through it and I tried leaning it out and I am still not getting and power out of it and it is like I am going through the break in stage with the first tank. its bogging down when I hit the throttle, sometimes it will shut off and sometimes it will run. The temp is 40 outside. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to run my truck so bad. thank you and God bless.:

Give it a few more tanks. Are you wrapping the head with anything? I won't break an engine in if it's under 50F outside. It's too important of a time for a new engine to risk it for me.

What are your temps at the glowplug?

thank you for help

i ran it a little today after work and it ran better than yesterday but my take off is sluggish and it's only shifting 2nd so far topend is ok so what do i have to do to get 3rd so i can run my truck some other people down the street from me

Still sounds like it's a bit rich. What are your head temps? Any idea?

If you get it to the point that it's running clean from idle to WOT and still not getting a shift to 3rd, then you may need to adjust the trans shift point.

However, right now I can't remember if the 1st-2nd shift or if it's 2nd-3rd shift that's accessible from outside the trans.

I felt like kicking my savage today! I tuned it for 1 and a half tanks and couldnt get it to have any power at all!

I have a temp gun i got the temps up to 250ish head was wrapped due to the outside temp being 36...

When i tune it i hold it in my hand above the ground and throttle it until it and lean or rich it to try to get it to rev high and i would get it to where it sounds strong and revs fast but it had no power while on the ground!

So frusterating!

well i would never rev out your engine off the ground... and nitro can gell at a certain degree and ruin stuff, id just wait till it warms up or hit a indoor track below 40F is not to much fun..if you got gell at the tip of your stinger.. time to tear down and clean out...not good

The only time it gelled was when it was single digits.

I think the motor is shot or something.... Reving it in the air should be fine why do u think it's bad?

Back