cold weather break in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowking

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I finally got the savy motor sealed. I want to get her broke in but the winter has hit here. Is it a bad idea to break in a motor in cold weather? My lhs guy said to heat the motor up to 150° with a heat gun has anyone done this? Should I really just wait for warmer weather?

Wait if you can. Heat it up if you can't. Wrap the head and try to maintain close to 200 degrees at all times while running it. No matter what you do, running it in the cold is not a great idea.

I'd wait no question about it. When it's cold it's too hard to get the temps to stay up without driving it too hard or running too lean. Both are equally bad for a good break-in. The life of the engine is greatly dependent on the break-in it's given.

Looks like its going to be a long winter for the savy!!! Thanks guys I'm gonna take wise advice and just wait. Gonna get a slash 4x4 to curb the itch. Will my brand new bottle of fuel be ok for next year?

Looks like its going to be a long winter for the savy!!! Thanks guys I'm gonna take wise advice and just wait. Gonna get a slash 4x4 to curb the itch. Will my brand new bottle of fuel be ok for next year?

It will be fine. If it's open I usually squeeze the air out of the bottle and cap it tight. Try to keep it where the temperature will stay fairly consistent and don't store it directly on a concrete floor.

Oh and as always make sure its shaken good before you use it to keep the oils mixed.

I just bough the fuel today. It has never been opened.

Sweet as always thanks for all the advice...

Back