clutch springs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rak12

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In general at what RPM's do 3 shoe clutch springs engage vs. diameter?

e.g. .9mm =
1.0mm =
1.1mm =

I know there are other factors involved such as shoe weight, friction on the pegs, etc. I'm just looking for ballpark figures.

Not sure what the actual rpm's would be, but using a thinner spring on a loose low grip surface will help make the car more drivable because the power isn't just kicking in & creating heaps of wheel spin all at once at higher rpm's when the clutch engages.
More surface grip can use a heavier spring as there is less chance of wheelspin at the higher rpm that the clutch will engage at.

Thank you for your response. I was fishing for response in hopes that someone may have some ball park ideas. I think this is just one on those things I'll have to play with and try different size springs. I have been running 1mm on a 3 shoe aluminum clutch, but it is a little snappy off the line. I am currently doing my winter rebuild and plan on trying .9mm and see how that does.