Clutch Spring Revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnow

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I finally wiped the new off my revo. Had to replace the spur gear with a 40 tooth spur gear and I believe the clutch spring is also broke, bend, or just fell off. On the parts breakdown it does not show where this spring is located. It would be nice to know the location of this spring before I start tinkering. Tinkering caused my problem.

The Clutch bell spring is around the clutch shoes inside the clutch bell

Thats why i couldn't find it on the breakdown, I was looking at the tranny side. I am new to the whole rc car stuff. Hense the reason my revo screamed at full speed under my car until it wedged so tight it stripped the spur gear and what seems like the clutch spring. The revo wants to go while trying to start it. If my diagnosis seems incorrect please correct me.

Thats why i couldn't find it on the breakdown, I was looking at the tranny side. I am new to the whole rc car stuff. Hense the reason my revo screamed at full speed under my car until it wedged so tight it stripped the spur gear and what seems like the clutch spring. The revo wants to go while trying to start it. If my diagnosis seems incorrect please correct me.

your diagnosis is right, just remove the clutch bell and you will see the clutch shoes and the spring goes around the clutch shoes.On a lighter note dont feel bad,my nextdoor neighbor did the same thing with his 3 week old revo,except he had to jack up his car to get it out.

You may want to replace the clutch shoe while you at it you may have cooked them depending how long it was crying for help before you turned it off.:p:

You may want to replace the clutch shoe while you at it you may have cooked them depending how long it was crying for help before you turned it off.:p:

Not to long I will just look at them when I take it apart. I was hot on its tail once it took off. Only way I could think of to shut it off was to plug the tail pipe real quick. It drives fine once I got it to run.

The reason it screamed away from me was I had accidentally reversed the shift servo with the throttle servo. So while it was shifted into forward was really full throttle. The outcome could have been alot worse if the car had not been infront of the revo to pin it to the ground

Not to long I will just look at them when I take it apart. I was hot on its tail once it took off. Only way I could think of to shut it off was to plug the tail pipe real quick. It drives fine once I got it to run.

been infront of the revo to pin it to the ground

The reason it screamed away from me was I had accidentally reversed the shift servo with the throttle servo. So while it was shifted into forward was really full throttle. The outcome could have been alot worse if the car had not
Bet you won't do that again.LOL:hehe:

The reason you stripped the spur gear is because your slipper is too tight. Readjust it and you shouldn't have to worry about it stripping again unless your mesh changes or a rock gets wedged in there, etc. The whole reason behind the slipper clutch is to relieve stress on the differentials and spur gear in the event the wheels can not move at the same pace as the spur gear (which is what happened in your situation).

The reason you stripped the spur gear is because your slipper is too tight. Readjust it and you shouldn't have to worry about it stripping again unless your mesh changes or a rock gets wedged in there, etc. The whole reason behind the slipper clutch is to relieve stress on the differentials and spur gear in the event the wheels can not move at the same pace as the spur gear (which is what happened in your situation).

You are absolutely correct. I had overtightened the slipper and was still having fun with the wheelies, I had every intention of loosening it once the wheelie fun wore off. Looks like a lessen learned.

I also found the spring around the clutch plates had stretched. I attempted to "unstretch" the spring to make it as close to factory as I could. Seemed to want to start without rotating the wheels. I have not tested it as far to to drive it. Don't have high hopes for it.

You are absolutely correct. I had overtightened the slipper and was still having fun with the wheelies, I had every intention of loosening it once the wheelie fun wore off. Looks like a lessen learned.

I also found the spring around the clutch plates had stretched. I attempted to "unstretch" the spring to make it as close to factory as I could. Seemed to want to start without rotating the wheels. I have not tested it as far to to drive it. Don't have high hopes for it.

That spring is shot replace it it won't last.:D It has lost its temper from heat.

not trying to steal a post or anything but how tight do you want the slipper clutch? some people told me to use my fingers to move the gear it self to tighten then when it gets hard unscrew 1/4 turn.

There should be an "official" way to set the slipper in the Traxxas instructions. I don't own one so I couldn't tell ya. For example on the LST you tighten it all the way and then back it off one full turn. Traxxas's method is probably something like that.

not trying to steal a post or anything but how tight do you want the slipper clutch? some people told me to use my fingers to move the gear it self to tighten then when it gets hard unscrew 1/4 turn.

He's right if its to loose you will melt it. They are made to equal out speed difference in the drivetrain not to be a fuse when you hit something wide open.:D

DO NOT TIGHTEN IT ALL THE WAY! There are two washers that work as a spring and you will flatten them. Tighten it until you can't turn it by hand, then back it off a quarter turn

Thanks yea i heard about the washers, thats the same thing with drag on a Fishing Reel

Last question about this spring. I was attempting to see if by pressing the spring back and hoping for it to make it long enough for the new parts to arrive. Will this spring cause the engine not to start at all. I know it had some problems starting when I noticed the problem, but after taking it the clutch bell off and putting it back on it won't start. It doesn't try to pull when it is trying to start. Could that still be the same problem or could something come out of adjustment while popping the motor off. Waiting for new parts is not one of my best traits

All that spring will do is cause the clutch to engage. If the wheels are on the ground while you trying to start it that coud be causing it not to start put a box under it so the wheels are off the ground.Then wait for your new spring to come.:D

Well you should still be able to turn it over via the pull start. If the clutch is dragging it can cause it not to start due to their being a pre-existing load on the engine, but even so it should still pop and act like it wants to fire up.

That impact when you hit that tire may have knocked the glow plug out.Take the plug out put the ignitor on make sure its glowing bright orange.:D

Back