Clutch engaging late & shift trouble

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Nice Guy

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I tore my tranny apart and put the shift point adj screw back in (it had come out and was jamming the hub) and put everything back together. When I ran it I noticed that it now didn't want to engage the clutch untill I had the throttle at almost 3/4. When it did engage it sounds like it pops into gear all of the sudden and then takes off pretty good. Once going it never seems to shift. The only time I had it shifting is before I leaned out the needle valve (I bought it used and ran it with the settings that the previous owner had left which were very rich) and even then it would take a long time to shift. When I put it together I set the screw at 6 1/2 turns out like someone had suggested as a good base adjustment. I tried to loosen it an 1/8 of a turn at a time but it never shifted. I didn't want the screw to fall out so I quit loosening it after another full turn. I then tried tightening it to about 5 1/2 turns but that had no effect either. Now when I had the tranny apart everything looked good. There was only one thing that I noticed that was wrong. On the fork that changes forward/reverse it has two little bushing/peg things on the ends where it actually contacts the hub. One of these was broken (I found it in the bottom of the case) I'm thinking this is possibly why it's taking so long to engage. Maybe it's not moving all the way into position. Any thoughts on this? Also I can't figure out the shifting either. This is getting a little frustrating. I just want my truck to run. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give as many details as possible. Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance

Tranny Trouble

Hey how ya doing?I think I have your answere.It really sounds like you havn't leaned it out enough yet.The problem with the second gear not engaging has alot to do with power.Example:the faster you can get it to accelerate the quiker it will shift.Example:i run my set screw for second gear almost all the way in because my t maxx accelerates really hard with a .26 engine.As far as where the shifting fork is,that has nothing to do with when it shifts.The bell is for forward and reverse and you only really need to adjust these if you have trouble going from forward to reverse.NOTE:do not adjust these if your engine is idleing real high.Most times if the engine is idleing high it won't shift from forward to reverese,and vise versa.Try leaning it out some more,and don't worry you will know if it gets to lean"it will cut out"and"run hot".My t maxx doesn't hit second until about 30mph.My stock size sirio powered t maxx that my son plays with probably doesn't hit second until about 25mph.I hope this info will help ya and if you need anymore help email me and I will do what I can for you.Good luck. RUSS

Thanks for the reply. I fixed the late engaging clutch. It seems I had the lowspeed needle a little lean. I think I'm getting somewhere on the shifts but I think it may be shifting almost immediately on take off. It's a little hard to tell but seems to be way too fast to be still in first gear to me. I tried leaning out the needle but I'm at the point that if I lean it out any more it'll stall out whenever I brake hard. I'm gonna try and get it to shift tomorrow if I have time (I didn't bring enough fuel with me yesterday). Wish me luck :) and thanks again for the help....Later

Maybe try tightening the shift adjustment screw in a turn or so to see if it seems slower. That way you know if your stuck in second or first.

Thanks olds97. Well after messing with the shift adjust for almost a tank I was getting a little frustrated. It still wasn't shifting. I remembered your post and decided to see for sure if it was stuck in first so I tightened the screw several turns (just to be sure). I started it back up and went to take off as usual by giving it full throttle. Well to my surprise, instead of taking off as usual, my Maxx does a backflip and lands on it's roof! Whoa I guess I was stuck in second. Unfortunately I had almost no fuel left and no more with me so I didn't get to do anymore tuning. Tomorrow I'll start backing the screw out untill it shifts. I couldn't believe the power it had in first gear. It would wheelie at will and needed careful throttle control to keep from going over backwards. Thanks for all the help guys....Later :cheers:

I did the same frustrating thing that your going through a long time ago. There's a few things on these trucks that is hard to judge, but you can turn a screw way past what's normal to make sure that's the problem. If it isn't, you can always turn it back. (kind of like tuning an engine on a day when it's 5 degrees out, sometimes you just don't know!)

Glad to hear you're getting closer. When you get the shift point right in the peak of the power curve, it really explodes out in second.

Well I was at it again today trying to get the shift point right but I guess I backed the screw out too far or maybe it's too loose because it came all the way out and jammed the hub again. I guess I can try and replace it or is there something I can put on the threads so it dosen't back out so easily? Maybe a little loctite or something? I still want to be able to adjust it but I don't want it to work it's way out. Any ideas? Mabe a little emers glue on the threads or something? Anywhoo... I guess I'll be pulling the tranny apart tonight. I refuse to give up though. I'll get this thing shifting if it kills me......Later

Rolex said:
Glad to hear you're getting closer. When you get the shift point right in the peak of the power curve, it really explodes out in second.

Are there dynos for our cars? :shrug:

Thanks. Will red loctite work? Maybe I can get it done tonight. Jeez I really want to get this thing working so I can get it out of the parking lot. I have a really good place to run too. It's gonna be a blast Once I get this shifting worked out. Thanks again Olds....Later

Red will work, but it will be permanent. I'd strongly suggest blue.

Sorry about that. Should have made mention with all the fiddling of the set screw that you should have re-applied locktight or it would walk out on you.

Be careful with the trans case screws holding the trans to the chassis. They strip after a few times of taking them out.

You don't want to loctite it solid. It needs to be adjusted occasionally. A dab of silicone works well since it will keep it from backing out, and can still be adjusted, if need be.
Once your trans is back together, with that grub screw all the way in, start to back it out about 1/8 turn at a time. Make sure you drive it long enough to bring it up to proper temp. If it doesn't shift, go another 1/8. No more, no less. When it starts shifting, you can then fine tune the shift point with a 1/16 turn in or out. When you get it right, normally it doesn't need to be adjusted again.
It's also best to do this shortly after you have everything reassembled, when the silicone is still wet. Put the car away, and let it cure for 24 hours.

I have some loctite here. It's in a red bottle but the liquid itself is blue. Is this red or blue? I don't want to use the wrong stuff and have the screw end up stuck. Thanks again....Later

You seem like a 'Nice Guy', that's why we're so willing to help.
Blue loctite in a red bottle? I have no idea. Have any silicone around?

Thanks for all the help guys. I have some silicone here so I'll just use that. I found one thing I did wrong when I put it back together last time though that probably wasn't helping my situation any. I put the spring in the hub first and then the little ball. Oops backwards. I looked up the exploded view and will have it together right this time. Wish me luck.....Later

Yeah, that will probably help. (the ball spring thing)

The blue locktight is medium. Do you see the word medium anywhere?

Well I got her shifting. If I continue to drive it starts back out again and won't shift. I readjusted it to where it shifted fine and then shut it down for the night. I hope that the silicone will cure overnite and keep it from backing out any more. If not I have to pull it out again and put more on. Hope it dosen't come to that though.

If it doesn't try the medium strength locktite.

This is what I have: http://www.acehardware.com/product/...=0&searchId=10394422639&x=0&parentPage=search

But there is a medium strength in a red bottle. From what I can tell, the red bottle is a loctite that will work on parts that have oil on them. The blue bottle works best on clean parts without oil.

There is a red (almost permanent) locktite in a blue bottle which would be the strongest version that works on dry parts. It's like the stuff that's in the link, but almost impossible to remove once it cures.

The red version in a red bottle would be the strongest version that works on oil coated parts.

Back