Clutch Bearings keep blowing out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodger

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I built a Maxx Hybird using a Duratrax Axis buggy and mated all my suspension parts from my Maxx. Powering it w/ Ofna Hyper .21 8 Port. I used a Kyosho MP 7.5 flywheel w/ a Ofna 12 tooth clutch bell which spins the 51 tooth Duratrax steel spur. Went through break-in, not a prob. Went through another 5-6 tanks of tweaking ( needles, shock spings, etc. ) not a prob. NOW I can't even get through a whole tank without blowing up one of my clutch bearings. Any ideas anyone? Anybody had something similar to this happen to them in the past?

Attachments

• truck 011 (small) (custom).jpg
    truck 011 (small) (custom).jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 155
For one thing the picture is too small to see anything.

Please post a larger pic of the front of the engine including the bell and the spur gear.

Things to consider:
  • Spur / Bell mesh adjustment. Is it to tight. Do a search on Mesh
  • Are the bearings being compressed. To many shims.
  • Are the bearings to loose. Not enough shims.
  • Proper bearing size.
Please post a better pic.
-Ed

Last edited:
Bigger Pic
Right amount of shims. not to loose not to tight. I'm starting to suspect mabye the the mesh alighnment might be off a little. Everything else should be dead dog nuts on. tooth pitch, etc. ...

Attachments

• clutch  480.jpg
    clutch 480.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 130
Another pic

Attachments

• truck 012 (custom).jpg
    truck 012 (custom).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 128
I'd say FastEddy pretty much covered the possibities. Also, for whatever reason, it looks like your missing a screw too.

Na, no screw missing. The hole you prob. see was for the stock fuel tank. I finally replaced both bearings and ran it today w/o any problems to my suprise. Maybe just a bad batch of bearings?
Only other problem that I encountered now is a air leak at my carb. Not a major problem, just a ripped o-ring. Apparently its a common failure of the Ofna Hyper 8 Port. So a new o-ring, a little red sealent, problem solved.
30835497.gif

How's your speed ? Is it stupid fast ? I would definately agree with FastEddy about bearing size. Sounds like it can't handle the power.

Looking at the photo, I see grooves or a discoloration in the center of the bell where the spur rides. This MAY be from the mesh being to tight. Its hard to tell from a photo.

Use a plastic zip lock bag a thick one, placed in-between the bell and spur to set the gap.

Again I'm only guessing here.

Good luck

I broke a set of the old styled clutchbell bearings from Acer. The replaced them for free it was just a design flaw in the bearings themselves. So I ask what brand of bearing are these? Are they the standard what is 10,11 mm can't remeber off the top of my head, but they are small bearings for a torquey .21. btw all me shimming and mesh was correct just a product failer so maybe that's it?

My question is where is your brass thrust bushing that is missing from your photo. It is a 10x5x3mm. I know I have one on my Hyper 8port.