Clutch advice.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnEmOvr

RCTalk Rookie
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have MGT 4.6 that I broke the motor (yes broke, full throttle when the new steering came undone and I ran into a light pole breaking the engine block where it held the carb), Anyway I got a new Dynamite Mach .28 and mounted it on the MGT. I was trying to get the new engine tuned and broke in when I burnt up the clutch (was idleing way to high), clutch nut, broke the springs and wore the flywheel sleeve down. The Flywheel I think is good but I am not 100% sure on this. I have been looking on a few sites for replacments and got to thinking, would a clutch kit from an 8.0 fit my truck? What would I need, if anything, to upgrade to make it work.

These are the parts I am looking at.

Flywheel
Springs
clutch shoe

Also anyone near Ft Stewart GA able to help me tune this truck, a Losi truggy and a 3rd motor?

Last edited:
Just about any 1/8th scale clutch setup will work as long as the flywheel clears the chassis.

For roughly $20 more than the associated clutch setup you could get a standard 1/8th scale Buku Clutch. For a little more you could get the Buku clutch with the Komposite shoes.
You would also want a new clutch bell to go with a new Buku Komposite clutch.
The Buku Komposite is absolutely the best clutch I have ever used and I’ve used a lot of them.
The associated clutch is a decent setup also, it just depends on how much you want to invest in a clutch.

DSC07623.gif

If I were a little closer to Ft Stewart I’d be glad to help.

For roughly $20 more than the associated clutch setup you could get a standard 1/8th scale Buku Clutch. For a little more you could get the Buku clutch with the Komposite shoes.

Agree, could give the werks racing adjustable 4-shoe clutch a try
or go with the stock MGT4.6 fan flywheel, Mugen1.1 springs and Dynamite:max-life aluminum shoes.

Last edited:
I know when I burnt the clutch up I also messed up the collet, how can I tell if the flywheel is damaged? This is my current flywheel

Are these the springs? shoes?

Last edited:
The flywheel would have the imprint off the shoes embedded, can't find a pic right now to show you.

Yes, thats them. I personally like to change shoes along with the clutch-bell like buku.com suggested.

I know when I burnt the clutch up I also messed up the collet, how can I tell if the flywheel is damaged?

With a good and the correct size split bevel cone, install the flywheel assembly on the engine and see if it tightens up. If not you may have worn the bevel of the flywheel out and it may need replaced.
If you spun the flywheel on the beveled cone the flywheel nut was most likely loose to start with, or you got so much heat in it the nut loosened.