Cleaning up a bad soldering job.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I would think this would go here, it is the Electric Talk section.

Anyways, I was soldering on new plugs to the circuit board of my ESC, and chaos happened. I tried applying heat to the ugly solder, but no use. Does anybody know a tool I can use to clean up this monster ugly solder job?

DSC_0044.jpg

Top right

Thanks!
-Coby

I suggest a better solder gun first. Those radio shack models really suck. They don't deliver nor retain the heat needed.

To clean that up, get some solder wick and desolder the unwanted solder and then apply "NO CLEAN" solder. If you don't clean up solder joints properly, you risk corrosion andrf interference.

That area you mention is a mess. Don't apply power to that.

Ah okay. I was thinking of getting a Hakko if I have the money for one. I'll make sure I'll do everything you said. Thanks!

Solder sucker and some flux. Good quality solder helps alot too. I've got a Weller gun and pen iron and they have worked great for me thus far.

Actually Jon is correct....de-solder wick is the stuff. If you are looking for a Hakko they do make them in the pen style that are more affordable/portable than the soldering stations. I have a 60W Hakko I think I paid $20 for new at my local (Japan) hardware store. It works fabulous.

Pretty much what everyone else said, a good iron, and some flux. I prefer solder suckers on PCD work, they lift the solder right away from the board, don't get hot, and double as good catapults for launching dried peas :)

Be careful with it though, so you don't damage any of the traces on the board.

Take jon2's advise, and whatever you do, DON'T apply any power to it till you know you have it right. If part of your solder has flowed onto the neighboring connection, you'll permanently damage the electronics on the board.

Just to add. You don't need to smother or pile on the solder. Enough to make a strong connection yet clean.Too much is just not necessary

look up "how to solder" in you tube. thats how i learned how to solder on circuit boards and stuff. just whatever you do ( i learned the hard way ) dont get one of those butane soldering guns. they are not as reliable and harder to get the temps you need to make an instant solder. and they can't de-solder worth crap either.

i use Novak flux and solder. its a few extra bucks at my LHS but its damn well worth it. ever since i got a nice weller soldering station with gun and pen attachments and the good solder with flux. its been A LOT EASIER to solder

and believe me I've fried more than my share of circuit boards, battery cells, ESCs, alot more than i care to share about lol

Last edited:
I already know how to solder. It was just this time that I thought why my sucky soldering gun wasn't melting the solder off. So stupid me adds more solder over to the spot and it gets worse.

BTW: I might go shopping for a new soldering gun/iron/etc. What watt should I be looking for? I was looking at the WOODY ones on Hakko's site and they are 100W.

I already know how to solder. It was just this time that I thought why my sucky soldering gun wasn't melting the solder off. So stupid me adds more solder over to the spot and it gets worse.

BTW: I might go shopping for a new soldering gun/iron/etc. What watt should I be looking for? I was looking at the WOODY ones on Hakko's site and they are 100W.
Look up Hakko 936. They are about 80 bucks. Dang worth it

Back