cleaning the rig after a run in the sandbox...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbl993

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well took my revo out to the park and the boy got it into the sand box. Well he got it stuck and it stalled out so he decided to take the glow plug out and check if it flooded:arrr: Well after he couldnt get it started he got me and i took it out of the sand back home to my work bench and cleaned it all up and inspected it (plugged fuel filter, cleaned it). I notice that when I put the glow plug back in there must be a grain of sand on the threads that he missed when I instructed him to clean it out. I havnt started it since cause I wasn't sure. I know sand will play hell with these engines. Are the copper head gaskets reusable? I was planning on taking the head off and cleaning it and just to double check the sleeve and piston for more sand :snooty:. any ideas? I checked to make sure there wasn't any sand in the carb and it was clean.

Last edited:
Deffinately check the mill properly. One IOTA of foreign matter can cause havoc, not only with the piston and liner, but the big and little end bearing of the conrod, the back bearing and any other moving surface inside the mill.

It's better to strip it, check it and clean it, than to wreck a good mill by not cleaning or checking it. Only thing to remember is to ensurer everything is air tight on rebuild.

There, i said my piece now i'm gonna shut uip !! :hehe:

yeah go ahead and take the head off...the gaskets are reuseable..take it all apart clean it, with some low pressure air, or which ever suits your needs. and put her back together and let her rip

I'll strip it down tonight then. It'll probably be clean but I just dont like the idea of somthin in there. Brand new mill too... After reassembly, do i need to redo the break in process?

nope! just make sure you get the head on right. tighten it down in a cross pattern like you do a car tire.

Back