cleaning the revo??????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double A

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
what do you guys use??? I've tried denatured alcohol but in my opinion s*** sucks

Hi,
Can we use WD-40 for cleaning the outside too?? Apart from its use as afer run cleaner..

I just tore mine down and soaked it with wd40.. Worked pretty well and I've heard it will make it harder for dirt to stick..
The truck was nice and shiny and smelled great-I love that wd40 smell, probably inhaled too much!!;)

wont that leave an oil film on there make it feel greasy

Well, I wipe it down pretty good.. Kind of a protective coating... Stop rubing it and drive..:D

I use assorted size and stiffness bristle brushes,compressed air and a vacuum with a computer keyboard cleaning attachment kit with 5 different cleaning heads to clean my trucks up.... I bring the brushes with me to clean the trucks up around the airfilter areas and carbs when I go to change filters and clean up in between the driveshaft joints in the field and the shock shafts to reduce the dirt from wearing them down....Once a month I break the whole trucks down totally and clean them in the sink without electronics or engine,dry it up and lube all the wheel bearings and a-arm pivots,I service the shocks,bellcrank and clutch........I use my trucks as much as 4 days a week for 3-4 tankfuls each minimum and every moment is non-stop bashing.....Heres what my MGT looks like after todays bash-a-thon.The T-Maxx faired well with only a busted servo..lol

x-15taillightassy331.gif

Last edited:
i like the Nitro cleaners but i end up using one whole can on one cleaning - and at like $7-8 a pop for a can it is expensive!

a 70/30 mix of Simple green and Denatured alcohol works good for me, it seems to do the trick

that mix safe to splatter on the electronics?

it hasn't hurt mine just dont soak them, cover them if you can and then do it. . .thats what i do

There is of course, the option to strip the electronics and chuck it under the shower with a liberal coating of either a disinfectant or carb cleaner. Thats what i do, followed by a complete strip down, relube and rebuild.

That said, my all alloy revo will be treated a lil' better. A complete strip, clean and polish up with armour all. Then a good waxing to help avoid any crud sticking where it is not wanted.

Denatured alcohol and air compressor, looks like almost new every time.

Dreamstate, I can't get DA in limey land (UK) hence the disso or carb cleaner followed by armour all.

Wouldn't use a compressor though...damn things are too heavy to be chucking at a revo !!! hehehe.

seriously though, a compressed air line ?..............air saturated with oil and water particles, not to mention the hazards of the flying debris ? no thanks, i'll stick to the manual method, its a whole lot safer.

Dreamstate, I can't get DA in limey land (UK) hence the disso or carb cleaner followed by armour all.

Wouldn't use a compressor though...damn things are too heavy to be chucking at a revo !!! hehehe.

seriously though, a compressed air line ?..............air saturated with oil and water particles, not to mention the hazards of the flying debris ? no thanks, i'll stick to the manual method, its a whole lot safer.

My air compressor has adjustable psi and air water seperator(filters water out of the line) and contains no oil. Hazards of flying debris? It's sand and mud, I wear safety glasses. Anyways works for me 10-15 minutes and it's nice and clean, then I wd40 all joints, knuckles etc...

i see you point, but you wouldnt catch me blowing muck off a rig with air, i prefer the hand cleaning method. i know whats what that way.

As an aside, and I hate to sound a pedant, but despite oil and water filters, compressed air STILL contains water and oil particles, even though it's a common misconception to believe otherwise. even with s series of 2/3 combined air/water filters inline you will never stop 100% of the oil or moisture in compressed air.

Just ask any compressor engineer.

I use Simply Green and a hose after I remove the electronics. I then hit the joints/bearings with a non greasy race lube.

Your worried about micron sized oil and water particles yet you wash your revo with water and the engine spits oil all over it when you run it. If the parts I clean at work on commercial airliners are not affected by the micron sized particles your revo will not either. Ayways, to each his own, have fun scrubbing that baby. I'll stick to taking mine apart and scrubbing about once every 6 months.

LOL, i find that stripping the revo after every run (as i do with ALL my rigs, nitro or electric) actually works in favour of keeping the thing in tip top condition. Regular strip downs allow for close inspection of componants therefore catching any potential parts failures before they occur. Including the checking and maintenance of bearings.

As to washing it with water, i dry it down properly after i strip it, then rebuild it lubing that componants that need it and no others.

Everyone has there own way. mine is a complete strip and rebuild after every run.

engine and elctronics off and PRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSURE Wash at 2600 psi get it clean everytime

Last edited:
engine and elctronics off and PRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSURE Wash at 2600 psi get it clean everytime

Wow, that'll do it. Just be careful blasting bearings straight on at the psi, but that would definitly clean it up good.:)

Back