Cleaning my rusty VXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeabajuice

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's filthy. Since it's waterproof, could I just hose it down or should I take all the electronics out. Also, which parts should I WD40 so they don't rust.

I wouldn't hose it down but that's just me. If its just dirt (not mud) you could use compressed air but not everyone has access to one. Maybe some household cleaner and a rag? As for the screws, I know from experience that they will rust and it's not pretty. Thats why I wouldn't use your hose to wash it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i used to put my slash 4x4 in a sink and lightly wash it off under running water. just try to stay away from the electronics. oh and i never lubed any of my bearings just replaced them as they seized up. it was more of a bashing vehicle haha

i used to put my slash 4x4 in a sink and lightly wash it off under running water. just try to stay away from the electronics. oh and i never lubed any of my bearings just replaced them as they seized up. it was more of a bashing vehicle haha

yea i never oil my bearings...i just buy a bunch of those 1.00 bearings and replace as needed...lol

I will coat my rigs in simple green, do a little scrubbing then wash it off under the sink or with the hose. I do the same thing to all my waterproof rigs.

Hell, if it's waterproof, fill up the tub, turn it on, drop it in and run it WOT. The wheels will agitate the water.

I use the sink with hot water (as hot as you can stand), simple green and an old toothbrush. I just pop one of the seals off of the bearings and spray WD-40 until it's smooth again then put the seal back on.

I do my poop the hard way....I tear it down and clean it with simple green and a nylon brush and then blast it with some compressed air if needed. any bearing that isnt silky smooth gets cleaned and regreased.

If its not very dirty then you can spray some COWRC moo-tor cleaner or some denatured alcohol and hit it with some compressed air.

These are just my personal preference.

As for rust protection either use COWRCs Moo-slick or some Blaster Silicone Garage Door lube. Both products are the same silicone based type of protectorant/lube and are safe for electronics.

Back