Cleaning Methods

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetteklr

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Do any of y'all go about cleaning your Nitro RC's really really well after running them? To the point of out of the box cleanliness? I'm wondering how you go about doing it without stripping the whole rig down.

To get one out of the box clean, you will have to tear it down piece by piece, theres no other way that i have found.

I dont think you can get it sparkling clean with out doing a complete tear down but one of the things I do is get it really clean is the following. Waterproof the electronics.....If its electric I use industrial strength velco to hold my esc and RX down so I just take those out. Then I give the entire rig 2 or 3 good coats of a product called blaster
421060_372506859428774_100000083895985_1548995_1270649829_a.jpg

You can get this at home depot. Make sure you give each coat plenty of time to thouroughly dry. It doesn't hurt electrics either since its silicone based. It also helps repel dirt and water. Once I've done that then when I take me kit oput and get it dirty I plug my carb and exhaust on my nitro engine or take my esc and RX out of the kit and then just hose the kit down real good with a spray handle garden hose or something. After that I take the ait compressor to it and make sure I blow off all of the standing or beaded up water. The Blaster acts as a silicone sealant and will not let the water rust your parts. You will need to apply more Blaster once you get your rig clean but that method works pretty good for me....hes a video of it being done to other kits as well that were run in salt water on a beach and they still didnt rust.

Skip to 16:20 for the rust prevent blaster part.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDTGoND1Ri8"]Squirrel TV 4 RC Help; Rust Prevention, Dye Plastic Parts, Q&A, Cooking With Nitro - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
i keep thinking i want compressed air in the field. but havent got it done yet. i read about a guy that had a roofing crew and used a gas engine to run a compressor. it cost him $80. a week. so he changed to using compressed nitrogen from a weld shop. that cost him $40. a week.

Hmm. I wonder what would be the equivalent of Simple Green over here in the UK

i keep thinking i want compressed air in the field. but havent got it done yet. i read about a guy that had a roofing crew and used a gas engine to run a compressor. it cost him $80. a week. so he changed to using compressed nitrogen from a weld shop. that cost him $40. a week.

I keep a can of Dust Off (or something similar) for computers. If you use a brush or screwdriver to clean up the tougher areas, it works well and lasts a while.

For cleaning I use diluted Simple Green along with stiff nylon bristle brushes, and an air compressor for drying things off when done.

+1. It's my favorite. Once it's dry it doesn't attract grit and grime (Rolex's enemies) like the Blaster does.

If the Blaster is dry it repels dirt and water.....now if its still wet then yeah that will be bad.

Dust be gone! I repel thee.

After it's all cleaned up, spritz it with a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water.
She looka lika noo.

what i usually do is.... use the 100 psi air compressor blow the dust off. then take fuel tank and filters out, and then dip a brush into 99% isopropyl alcohol, get dirty spot wet, and then wipe them down with a towel. then re apply the alcohol, then blow dry with 100 psi compressed air. works really well for me. but i do take it apart completely for clean like every other week depends on how much i ran it. gl

Someone told me using an air compressor would force air/water into the waterproof electronics....

^^ never aware of that.... it might, but i have been doing that for over 10 times, dont have a problem "YET". from what i see, it dries it real good and fast.

Back