CJ5 scratch build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
converted the oddly mounted U bolts on the axles , I don't like the idea of the bolts hanging down like that so I made all new U bolts with a little jig I made ,machined up some new top plates . So much cleaner having them bolted in this way . Looks just like my full size now after I did my spring over conversion . with the big proline tires I may just have to do a body lift . I needed to do a 6" body lift and a spring over conversion to get the 39.5x14 under my full sized jeep .. when I get this little guy done I will take a picture of it on the hood of my full sized bush crawler.View attachment 121075View attachment 121076View attachment 121077View attachment 121078View attachment 121079View attachment 121075View attachment 121076View attachment 121077View attachment 121078View attachment 121079
You have taken this hobby to a new level. Incredible work and she looks awesome....

Thanks guys for the encouragement .

finished up the radio install , think it
100_4396.JPG
100_4397.JPG
came out pretty clean . still waiting on the rims /hex conversion and the sound and light module . She also ran under her own power for the first time . It's fast , too fast for my liking ,I will try the smallest pinion to improve it's trail and climbing performance . It's no sacrifice to me to loose some of that top speed for some more controllable power down low .. have to remember to lock up those diffs too . I will move on to the soft top and doors next .

Two 2d printers I can recommend are the filament style are the larger format Creality CR-10s or it's slightly smaller brother the Ender 3. For finer details I recommend the Elegoo Mars resin printer. Both have a great fan base and customer support. I will say that the 3d printing/upgrading the printers is almost as addictive as RC....

Made up the frames for the soft doors and the rear bow to support the soft top, the bow is adjustable and pivots on the tub sides just like the real one . the door frames have the corner plate where the door handles attach . I have some very fine black leather to make the doors and top , I was thinking of vinyl but can't find it thin enough to be able to bend in all the tight corners . getting into some pretty small hardware 2/56 ,1/72 , 0/80 . Also have to source some small snaps to join the top to the tub , will ask the wife about that one tonight LOL..
100_4398.JPG
100_4399.JPG
100_4400.JPG
100_4401.JPG
100_4402.JPG

advancing right along . built and covered the soft doors , thought the door frames looked funny , they are missing the lower cross braces . In this small scale they are not really needed for strength but I added them anyway because you can see them on the real jeep through the covering . I also had my rims show up, still waiting on the RC4WD axle kit to put them on . It's pretty crazy when I look in this little Jeep all that's missing is the vintage Craig box speakers in the back and the tape player and would swear I am looking around in my big Jeep LOL
100_4403.JPG
100_4404.JPG
100_4405.JPG
100_4406.JPG

Went back and forth with the denim and leather tops . made both . liked the leather better ,still have to add the windows and the door handles but not looking to bad so far...I must say I don't think I have ever seen a scale soft top .
100_4410.JPG
100_4411.JPG
100_4410.JPG
100_4411.JPG

All I have say is: Outstanding-Beautiful job!.?

added the mirrors and door handles . mirrors are like the factory folding ones ,they are made from brass and have a pivot ball behind the mirror for adjustment . the door handles are also copies and work as they should . Yeah I know , getting a bit carried away . but having fun trying to make all this little gear functional . everything still needs a final finish before paint but it's getting there .
100_4417.JPG
100_4415.JPG
100_4412.JPG

well I tried the new rims with the boggers and they looked terrible so until I can find something I like better I painted the factory rims, they actually don't look bad for plastic rims once detailed out a bit . . I need to find rims that are wider and have a bit more offset . The 12mm conversion only made the car 3mm wider but it was going in the wrong direction with the rims I have .. I think maybe some wraith rims might be the ticket ,they seem to have the correct offset for what I need . I had planed on painting the Jeep yellow but am starting to get attached to the grey
100_4420.JPG
100_4421.JPG
100_4422.JPG

this is a mod some might find interesting . for my liking this truck needs to be geared down as it's way to fast . as an alternative to reworking the gearing I have a little trick for the brushed motor . I removed the armature from a high pressure toyota fuel pump , it's a 8 pole armature 24 turn . it reduces RPM by aprox 1/3 and increases torque by just as much , low speed control is way better and way smoother . pretty cool for a all out crawler , I use a old koyosho 360 gold can as it has the longer armature (same length as the toyota fuel pump) and you can adjust the end bell to set the timing ..
100_4431.JPG
100_4432.JPG
100_4433.JPG

Everytime I check up on this project I see it gets better and better. I really love all the custom work and small scale working accessories . can't wait to see what else you will do. Do you have any videos yet or just pics?

kind of wanted to see how fast it was first test.

Thanks my friend. when the weather gets a little better I will take some video . The Bruiser or p407 (the kit a bashed) was never a purpose built crawler so IMO it's a bit fast even for a trail machine . In first gear it's even quite quick ,though it can slow down enough to crawl ok but that is tough on the motors when they are under load and turning so slow ,so I think a gear down and my trick armature should do the job . I must say the drive train is very quiet and super smooth and the stock motor provides plenty of power even on 7.4v .. I've actually been building giant scale planes for years but needed a change so I started building a few trucks, been having a ton of fun , it's even inspired me to rebuild my full sized jeep LOL. I just ordered a full JUAN metal body kit /a new top /and a new set of 39.5x15 tsl superswampers . This is a picture of one of my other hobbies . Scratch built 116" wingspan Stearman with a 250cc Valach 5 cyl radial turning a 35x14 prop .. weighs in at 50lbs ..
100_3965.JPG

Amazing work! You attention to detail is incredibe. Wow!