Chinese Brands - JLB Racing - go easy on me, I'm thinking of my young boy...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert JP

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So guys, while i'm fairly new to the RC Forum - please go easy on me...
I have a couple of vintage Nitro cars and have brought them back to life... Now my boys are keen to get involved but nitro is an art form so I thought cheaper great value electric. I have seen so pretty high spec cars on Banggood and they look impressive. Does anyone here have one of these? and can provide valuable feedback etc
JLB Racing CHEETAH 120A Upgrade 1/10 Brushless RC Car Truggy 21101
parts availability would be main concern, but i'm used to expensive parts with my Losi, more the availability.
thanks

You hit the nail on the head Robert, available parts are the number one concern. I'm sure you have heard this before and know it to be true but its not if you break it, its when. Electric is a good choice for a kid and there is a ton of RTR kits out there and a ton of mods there after. Have fun with it and I'm glad the boys are getting interested.... :)

Robert are you sure your child can handle a 50 mph 3 cell?... yes Id say parts are a issue..so why not get a brand that there are parts for and have the ability to switch a switch on radio to make learning to drive not a hazard?..Traxxas offers a beginner switch on remotes;;;also they aren't 3 cell bone breakers..

I'd suggest you spend the little extra and go with a name brand rc those cars are good and all but part supply is an issue but you can always try ebay it wont last for ever.

For your kids try looking at arrma or traxxas.

Redcat an axial have both come a long way from where they were several years ago. They are also much less expensive than the Arrma or traxxas and you can still get the parts for them

I would't get the JLB Cheetah/21101/J3Speed for a kid under 14. Those things are deadly weapons. I have the 80A version and at first it scared the crap out of me. Even now I have a deep respect for it. An accidental throttle tug while picking it up and it will rip your finger off if in the wrong place... or crack a shin of an innocent bystander. I bought the 120A esc to put in it after I got used to it, but before it came in the mail, I managed to break the shock tower from the gearbox and it will be another month or more to get parts. Prior to that I have had to bend all 4 dogbones back into shape a few times and replace the screws that attach the top of the shocks to the tower. They bend and break after a few butt or nose landings - and that assumes you already broke the wing and or the wheelie bar off. Those negatives aside, it does haul some serious butt and handles pretty decent. It takes small jumps and rough terrain like a champ. The suspension is very plush and it looks graceful leaping around with blips of the throttle. If you aren't going to be doing big ramps and flips (double back flips are a piece of cake...but you gotta land it) then it is a great bargain for high speed and offroad ability. You could dial down the dual rate on the throttle and tape over it (if you trust the kid not to screw around with it) until they get used to it, and gradually ease up the power over time if they can handle it. But again, if you do jumps - things will break. Some parts are easy to find.. others not so much. An option is to buy a second one without the electronics to have a whole set of parts. All that said - if you can afford something better that has available parts.. I would do that.

A comparable size and power, but more adjustable would be my current favorite in my stable - Redcat Kaiju. You have the option of 3S-6S. On 6S it is a psycho monster that will do standing backflips. On 3S you can tool around in a small back yard and not lose control. 4S is a nice middle ground that can still rip it up but keeps you out of trouble. Its not that much more expensive and Redcat says they will have plenty of parts for it soon. It is still pretty new so the market is catching up and 3rd parties should have stuff soon also.

Another option if you think they might not stick with it and want to easy your way in - Amazon sells the same truck with a different shell and name from multiple seller. GP Toys Judge S920, Xinlehong 9125, Hosim 9125. It is $100 or more if 2 batteries or oil shocks included. For the price, they are a great little truck. I have beat the crap out of it and the only thing I have had issues with is the differential outdrive cups. I have broken several of those either from huge jumps or getting rocks or something jammed in the hub. Replacements are about 12 bucks. Other than that one issue it is an amazing little basher. It comes with 2S lipo but it will take a 3S for a while before it starts to overheat and throttle will start cutting out but so far has not killed it. It can do some nice flips on 3S and you get a bit of rotation control. Since they are so cheap just buy 2 and have a whole set of parts just in case. If you break the cups you will have 2 whole diffs to throw in and if those break you can scavenge the unbroken cups from the other side and rebuild it.

I have a couple of vintage Nitro cars and have brought them back to life... Now my boys are keen to get involved but nitro is an art form so I thought cheaper great value electric. I have seen so pretty high spec cars on Banggood and they look impressive. Does anyone here have one of these? and can provide valuable feedback etc
parts availability would be main concern, but i'm used to expensive parts with my Losi, more the availability.
thanks
I'll probably get shouted down for this, but I love my HOSIM 9125. For 100 bucks I've got a neat little RTR basher that I've burned the tires off of. I replaced the stock 1300mAh LiPo with a 5200mAh hardshell that I have strapped to the body. Its fast enough in the low speed setting to be exciting and the steering radius is tunable so teaching the kids how to run it is easier. I've put mine through the ringer, and it keeps asking for more. I try to avoid sliding into curbs, but I've cartwheeled it many times without breaking anything. I'm sure something will break eventually but nothing has yet and I run it almost daily. Value for money is excellent, at least for me. Good luck!

thanks
I’d find a used traxxas slash or team associated sc10 with a brushed motor set up. You can pick either one up used with the brushed setup for about 150$. Both those trucks can take a real beating. Parts are still readily available and will only do about 25-30 mph= less broken parts with kids driving. Lol

So, i must agree. I've had two 9125's for roughly 3 months, and a few other Hosim products. They've been quite entertaining and almost-impressive (durability wise). I did notice one of the first things to start "breaking", was the front lower control arms, they started "popping" the lower ball joint out every couple of jumps, till it started happening with EVERY jump. No need to buy arms, just remove the wheel on affected arm, remove lower balljoint-screw (this is where i found out WHY the pop-out was happening), then add either one, APPROPRIATELY fitting washer to screw, or in my case i had to use one that cover hole in control arm, and another, smaller washer between the head of screw and bigger washer. This TOTALLY ELIMINATES pop-out! And it works cuz it clears the wheels on the inside, and have yet to come loose on me. I do advise to lightly tighten screw/washers, then use your transmitter to check steering throw, and as along as the servo doesn't bog down, and both front wheels turn each direction the same amount, you're good to go! (It literally takes only 1/8th turn to be "too tight" just keep that in mind.

I'll probably get shouted down for this, but I love my HOSIM 9125. For 100 bucks I've got a neat little RTR basher that I've burned the tires off of. I replaced the stock 1300mAh LiPo with a 5200mAh hardshell that I have strapped to the body. Its fast enough in the low speed setting to be exciting and the steering radius is tunable so teaching the kids how to run it is easier. I've put mine through the ringer, and it keeps asking for more. I try to avoid sliding into curbs, but I've cartwheeled it many times without breaking anything. I'm sure something will break eventually but nothing has yet and I run it almost daily. Value for money is excellent, at least for me. Good luck!
barfeedbob, also, i have broken a few drive cups (both inner and outer) front/rear on my g174, as well as the 9125, the 174 equated to brand new differential assy'. Also, managed to strip both motor pinions as well as flatten the teeth on the spur/driven gear...took the time to solder two new motor assy's into truck, and new driveshaft assy', ran her hard for 10 mins and blew the spur again. Boy am i upset! ?

thanks
You won't have a problem with the spare parts, if you say that you own a Losi, there sre other chinese stores that can provide all JLB 21101 spares even at a better price than BG. Hell you can either purchase the damn thing at a lower price

Hey guys I ended up getting the JLB 80A version and it is a rippa. we have had to order a few parts and wheels as they seem to tear apart pretty easily... my boy has really got the hang of it and does not worry me with the skills. he is jumping at the BMX track really well, the car has faired really well. (I have lined the shell with fibreglass and its hard as nails now - with a bit extra weight).

I've been in RC for 2 months and mainly interested in nitro but i bought 2 wl toys battery cars. The 959 and the 979b.

I love them both, they are fast and easy to control and parts are easy to get as well.

With them being quite cheap and having watched enough YouTube vids to know how easily rcs break, I bought a complete set of new parts for both of them at the same time. The part sets were 30 pounds each.

I also bought a couple of extra batteries for both, slightly larger Mah.

In total I've spent around 200 pounds for 2 basic, starter rc's plus a complete set of parts for each and plenty of batteries.

Also I figure I can learn the basics of repairs and upgrading on these cheapos before messing with some decent cars.

I beleive the Chinese cheapies are a bit maligned but I love mine.

Just my 2 pence worth!

Already 1 repair under my belt...

Attachments

• 20201213_160320.jpg
    20201213_160320.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 122
Back