Charlie's Latest Scaler Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well it's official, I'm the proud new owner of an RC4WD trailfinder kit. I've decided to give RC4WD the benefit of the doubt and see if they've improved the quality of their products and service. I will write a full review and give honest feedback about the kit and the parts that are included. Here's a link to the kit I ordered. http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=817

I went with a black chassis and silver aluminum axles. My fullsize 68 show truck has a bright platinum basecoat/clearcoat chassis with glossy lack axles and suspension, but I went with the opposite colors on my scaler because if I decide to drive it, which isn't likely, at least for a while, I figured the black anodizing would show a lot more rockrash than the silver aluminum axles.

I will be running a Chevy clod hardbody, with a nearly impossible to find Chevy bowtie grill and "Chevrolet" tailgate. Anyone who's familiar with scalers knows how rare the grill and tailgate are, so those will be some of the highlights of the project. The hole in the hood has been completely shaved, as well as the body lines, so the body is quite a showpiece. I will be running true scale beadlocks with black rings to match the chassis. I will be running rock creepers or outcroppers tires.

thats awesome charlie!!! the trailfinder kit is sick to say the least, I'm sure its gonna be bad ass when your done with it.

What the heck are you doing online Charlie? Git R Dun!

Sweet project!

That sure looks like a sweet chassis.

I look forward to the pics.

I'm REALLY tempted myself actually. Not at the moment though. I do want to do a realistic scaler at some point, probably a Land Rover or something. That chassis is as close a scale chassis as I've seen to the Land Rover chassis.

Anyone know what the wheelbase on the trailfinder is?

I have it, I'll have to find it. I think it's around 11 inches though, but I'll let you know for sure.

This one and the 1000 dollar frame are the ones I'm using for ideas. That's a real piece of art, Charlie. Post up some pics.

It will be a few weeks before it gets here, assuming it doesn't get held up by some of the parts that I chose to upgrade being out of stock. I will soon be posting pics of my 2006 Chevy 4 door SS scaler though, probably tonight.

I'm trying to decide if I should go with leaf springs or a 3 link suspension.The leaf springs look really scale for a stocker. But most of the guys that I know that have 4WD show trucks have put a lift kit on them with a link setup, so the three links looks scale as well since the chassis sits as if it has a lift kit on it. The three link suspension is a much more capable suspension, so if I was crawling with it there wouldn't be a question. But since it's going to be a shelf queen for a while, I was thinking of trying the leaf springs and then upgrading to the 3 link setup further down the road.

Last edited:
WOOO HOOOO!! I received a tracking number today!! It's on the way, along with the out cropper and rock creeper tires.

Plus I ordered a set of Tomahawks separate and their on the way! I can't wait to get started.

Also, because of the delay, I got an email from RC4WD last week, and they gave me A LOT of store credit to make up for the delay. I'm going to be putting it towards my second trailfinder so I can drive one and keep one on the shelf. Maybe Rolex will catch on and get a Savage that he can drive, but I doubt it. The way his vision is, he'll have to get a 5T just to see it.

I will be running a Chevy clod hardbody, with a nearly impossible to find Chevy bowtie grill and "Chevrolet" tailgate. Anyone who's familiar with scalers knows how rare the grill and tailgate are

how rare are these bodies? we jus had a guy 2 weeks ago on craigslist with all kinds of clodbuster parts ranging from the first kits and parts up to the juggernaut also had a tamiya sand scorcher for 400 i almost went to get that just cuz it was so clean and complete

I will be running a Chevy clod hardbody, with a nearly impossible to find Chevy bowtie grill and "Chevrolet" tailgate. Anyone who's familiar with scalers knows how rare the grill and tailgate are

how rare are these bodies? we jus had a guy 2 weeks ago on craigslist with all kinds of clodbuster parts ranging from the first kits and parts up to the juggernaut also had a tamiya sand scorcher for 400 i almost went to get that just cuz it was so clean and complete

The only thing rare is if they're Chevy licensed parts. These are the hadest to find. Most of the grills are blank or have a "4x4x4" logo on the hood, along with a blank tailgate. The Chevy tailgate and grill by themselves almost always bbring north of $50 on the crawler forums, and the whole bodies usually bring above $100 even if they're kinda beat up.

Clodbody1.jpg

ClodBody6.jpg

ClodBody4.jpg

ClodBody8.jpg

Very nice, my clod body is the second generation, with nothing on the grille and tailgate. At least it's not the one with 4x4x4 on the grille.

on mine, I pulled the cheesy blower off and filled the hole with styrene, and I did the same to the sunroof. I have also started to drop the bed, got it all cut out, but I really can put it back together until I have some type of scale chassis to mount it to. I plan on adding wheel wells in the bed, and a toolbox made from diamond plate styrene, which is where I will mount the receiver and esc.

Last edited:
that body is awesome!!! i really am looking forward to this build.

gna be a sick project I'm gna follow up with that craigslist add and see what this dude has clodbuster was my first real r/c and I've been wanting to build one again for old time sake