Charger Cable Polarity Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osuui

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
  5. Boating
Hi I’ve got a question about my charger the hi tech mutlcharger x4. Whenever I put in a certain charger cable with a nimh sc2500mah it says reverse polarity what do i do to fix or is it unfixable.

Sounds like you may have it plugged in backwards. Are you matching red to red, black to black? What kind of connectors are you using?

Sounds like you may have it plugged in backwards. Are you matching red to red, black to black? What kind of connectors are you using?
These are the connectors

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like your red plug and black plug are mismatched.
Make sure the red wire is connecting to the red wire and black to black.

Those two plugs are not the same plug and are not intended to be used together. The black plug is a futaba connector and the red plug is a JST-RCY connector. You need an adapter. LINK

RC Connectors.jpg

It looks like your red plug and black plug are mismatched.
Make sure the red wire is connecting to the red wire and black to black.
I did that and it is currently charging it worked thank you!
Those two plugs are not the same plug and are not intended to be used together. The black plug is a futaba connector and the red plug is a JST-RCY connector. You need an adapter. LINK

View attachment 160648
Well I got the charger cable from hobby bench a rc store told them what charger cable and gave me that one. It’s currently charging right now I matched the red and black wire together.

If this is something you are going to be doing over and over, you are going to want to get matching plugs.
Look for some that are matching and will make the job easier.

I did that and it is currently charging it worked thank you!

Well I got the charger cable from hobby bench a rc store told them what charger cable and gave me that one. It’s currently charging right now I matched the red and black wire together.
Those 2 plugs are not matching plugs. I mean you can force them together it will charge since both plugs use the same connector pitch but those are not meant to go together and the futaba connector is going to get stretched out.

I'm hoping your hobby store person misunderstood what you needed otherwise hes an idiot. just sayin'

Those 2 plugs are not matching plugs. I mean you can force them together it will charge since both plugs use the same connector pitch but those are not meant to go together and the futaba connector is going to get stretched out.

I'm hoping your hobby store person misunderstood what you needed otherwise hes an idiot. just sayin'
Is there ones with banana plugs to them? I have found one but I don’t know if that’s the same. Also yeah the guy just handed me a cable I barely know about the cables. Was hoping he would know…

9E282294-4B12-4C7B-9AE8-4ED5DF4B1239.png

Is there ones with banana plugs to them? I have found one but I don’t know if that’s the same. Also yeah the guy just handed me a cable I barely know about the cables. Was hoping he would know…

View attachment 160702
Yeah, those will work. Id also make sure to use a temp probe on the pack while charging it too. I'm assuming you're using a hobby grade battery charger? If you are then using a temp probe on your NiMH packs will lengthen their life span because your charger will be able to adjust the charge current according to how hot the pack is. Heat kills batteries, especially Nickle based packs.

If you dont have one already something like THIS can be used on LiPo or NiMH packs. Again, requires a hobby grade CCCV style battery charger to use.

If you have any questions post away. :)

Last edited:
Ok will ask again if I have more questions thank you!