Casting tires for custom builds using 3d printed molds and 2 part silicone.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wdMod

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
So this has been the road block to many of my custom projects over the years.. build a cool chassis and then can't find any suitable donor tires in the correct scale etc.. So here is my basic method for casting 2 part silicone or Urethane tires using some 3 d printed molds and some non toxic craft grade PLATINUM CURE silicone.. Has to be the platinum cure 2 part , the single part silicones in a tube or caulk gun are NOT suitable , they leach chemicals that will leave a residue on the track surface where the platinum cure non toxic does NOT , so on with the video..

Gonna watch how this pans out. I often thought of tires but didnt want to heat rubber for injection molding. I never thought about silicone. I actually have a nice collection of tires for that reason.

Gonna watch how this pans out. I often thought of tires but didnt want to heat rubber for injection molding. I never thought about silicone. I actually have a nice collection of tires for that reason.
for the smaller scales silicone works great,( 1/36-1/20) for larger stuff like 1/18 and bigger you need urethane which requires a GOOD vacuum chamber to de-gass the 2 part resin.
Here is a mold and tire I designed for my 1/24 drag car,, Cast from 30a silicone using the same basic method.
20210626_125301.jpg

If you weren't worried about the track surface would a single part work? We use a product in our shop called Sikaflex 221. Its a PolyUrethane adhesive sealant that stays flexible long term. I have an old Micro RS4 that is a blast to run around on the hardwoods or a nice concrete shop floor but the only compounds I can find are more for drifting or carpet and don't stick on concrete at all.

I've been looking at this idea and for the older brushed stuff it should work well.

yeah as long as your just running on concrete or even some carpet. going to need some urethane specific mold release though ..By the way guys , I am sorry I have some posts with video links missing . I lost a YT channel in a purge and am in the process of getting all my video content sorted and put on Rumble..