Carbon Fiber Motor Mount Plate? Yes? No? Maybe?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RET4RD

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
So I'm about to buy some carbon fiber sheet and cut out some new parts myself. Among the parts getting CF'd was going to be my motor mount plate. Is CF strong enough for that kind of stuff, as long it's the same thickness as the original?

As much as I like cf, I would go aluminum for cooling purposes.

I wouldnt mind seeing your process. I always wanted to try working with it.

As much as I like cf, I would go aluminum for cooling purposes.

I wouldnt mind seeing your process. I always wanted to try working with it.
I actually don't have a process 🤷‍♂️ this is my first time working with CF. I asked around and people said things about just cutting it with a knife. I guess this warrants further research

CF dust can do a number on your respiratory system. Wear a mask and make sure you get any dust from cutting cleaned up right away. Also, run a bead of super glue along any freshly cut edges to help keep it from delaminating.

CF dust can do a number on your respiratory system. Wear a mask and make sure you get any dust from cutting cleaned up right away. Also, run a bead of super glue along any freshly cut edges to help keep it from delaminating.
Sounds tasty😋😋 will do

You're not going to have any fun cutting carbon fiber with a knife. You need a carbide burr bit to cut it. Wear a good respirator, not a dust mask. And I highly recommend a full face shield.

You're not going to have any fun cutting carbon fiber with a knife. You need a carbide burr bit to cut it. Wear a good respirator, not a dust mask. And I highly recommend a full face shield.
That's cool, cuz I got one of those too. thx

This is what I started using after getting a sliver in my eye.
2035610.jpg

Working in a carbon fiber shop was the most unhealthy environment I have ever been in. It's just really bad stuff that does bad things to your body. So I preach caution when cutting it, because I have been there, and know first hand what it does to you. And it ain't good. I attribute some of my lung issues to working there. Just walking past the machines at the beginning and end of my shift, with no safety gear on, was detrimental to my health I think. My buddy that worked there with me for a year or so swears the same thing. And we both religiously wore our our masks.

damn 😱 guess I'll wear the mask then

I 2nd what wickedfog says , its is no fun to cut. However , it does work for motor plates but as said aluminum or even steel would be better for heat dissipation purposes.. I have a good bit of experience working with both G-10 fiberglass and Carbon fiber plate.. heres one of my G-10 projects.. and if you look close it has a g-10 motorplate before I had my wet table set up for cutting aluminum.
GV2 mid.jpg

If you cut it, cut it outside with a dremel. Have a fan blowing the dust away from you. Wear a respirator and eye protection for sure. Even then, when you're done, blow your nose.

Best thing would be to get a router. Then you get perfect cuts, and can just let it run outside or in your garage.