Car trouble

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpion_dude

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there! New to the forums.

Wonder if any experts here could help me. One of my cars is the cheap but fun GPTOYS 1:12 Scale 4WD "McGruff" S926 RC Truck. It uses an ESC/Receiver called HBX 12891 1/12 ESC Speed Controller Receiver Unit 12522RT.

I noticed how it would just stutter all of a sudden, specially if you would give full throttle, it would either not move at all, or stutter, if you give throttle bit slower you would be more successful, but all and all the car became useless pretty much useless. I tried different batteries in both Radio and car itself with no success.

Started looking into it and came up with that it must be the ESC/Receiver (combined unit). So I ordered in a new one, got it in place, and same thing.. maybe slightly better. The radio has slow and fast speed setting, and I can tell it's definatly working better when on slow setting, although not perfect.

When the stutter happens, the ESC light is blinking.

The only things I can come up with now is:

1. Radio unit itself?
2. Motor itself?
3. Solder on the motor?

This is obviously a cheap car, so i dont wanna spend too much money on it, but its been a fun car and its well built for the price, I only paid $100 cad for it.

What would you suggest I continue with and it what order? Anything else that I could be missing?

Cheers
Matt

Those batteries don't list the amp rating. Stuttering is typically a current flow issue which can be caused by a few things.
- geared too high for the motor/esc, causes excess current needed
- bad solder joints
- connectors not able to pass enough current
- batteries not able to supply sufficient current
- esc or motor or battery wires too small
- esc failing

If things seem to be working for the most part, it's typically one of the first 4.

Original batteries are 2500 mAh I recall, the other set i tested with are 3000mAhi believe.

Gearing is original with car.

ESC replaced.

Motor about to be replaced... and if its the Radio I probably have to send it to heaven.

That's the capacity, not the amp's that can be pulled out. Usually 18650's have a rating on them. I vape and I use 18650 cells in my devices. The ones I use are 15A - 20A continuous supposedly.

These are what I use:
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-25r-18650-2500mah-20a-battery/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/mxjo-18650-3000mah-battery/
https://www.18650batterystore.com/18650-p/lg-hg2.htm

Some have circuit's built into them so you can't overcharge or overdrain them. The ones I use don't have that and rely on the devices I use/charge them in to do that.

Ah I hear you... you learn something new every day! I will look into this if the motor replacement doesn't fix it. Thanks!

To close this case. I was in bad luck, after replacing motor, batteries and ESC - still same thing. I will have to give up, likely that the Transmitter have issues and I can't spend more money on it.

A new car on the way for the kids...

Thanks for your support.