Capra is faster in reverse

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warlock II

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just finished building my first kit, a Capra. I noticed that it runs 100% in reverse, and I can change from 25% to 100% in forward. I'm running a Reedy Radon 16t 5 slot brushed motor, Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Flysky BS06 receiver with a Flysky GT5 controller. I had to change the controller to reverse so the truck would drive forward when the trigger is pulled back. The ESC has blue and yellow wires that run to the motor, at the ESC the yellow is marked + and the blue is marked -. I hooked them up yellow to red and blue to black, do I need to switch the wires on the motor? Should I change the yellow and blue wire in the connector? Is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I put together a new(ish) build one time with a brushless motor (slightly different, same concept) and it went in reverse on my first test run. Knowing that the correct solution is to just switch any two wires (on a sensorless brushless), I was just too lazy to pull the body pins and do that. I had also taped over the bullet connectors as an extra precaution trying to keep dirt and moisture out so I knew I would have to undo two of them and redo that. So, lazily, I just threw the radio into reverse throttle, and it worked fine, but was a complete dog.

I was pissed. All this money and all this time and something was clearly wrong with the build. I ended up running into a corner I needed to back out of and wow - rocketship in reverse. turns out, the ESC was default set to 25% power while in reverse. So I finally got my lazy butt up, switched the wiring, put the radio back in normal throttle, and presto! There have been rare occasions I've needed to run reverse controls from the radio (like steering, some models mount the servo in such a way it needs reverse), but whenever possible I will switch hardware around to run controls in normal configuration. It just eliminates variables and problems down the road.

I would start by switching the wires at the bullet connectors and putting the radio back in normal throttle. I wouldn't bother desoldering the wires from the motor because your colors don't match anyway. Maybe you want to get a blue and yellow pigtail to solder on the motor so when servicing it in the future you can just go blue to blue and yellow to yellow

Back