can someone help me with breaking in a engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wils

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Could someone please help me post a correct engine break in sequence?
I've been searching and searching but I can't find anything.

Also, how much "after engine oil" do you guys use?
OS's site says that 2-5 drops is not enough. They recommend flooding
the engine with "after engine oil".

I'm really confused and would really appreciate help on breaking in my
OS engine.

Thanks.

After you are done using your engine just put a few drops in. I don't know why you would need to flood the engine, just put a few in, 2 or 3 drops, and turn over your engine a few times to get it all mixed in. Also, during breakin always leave the piston at BDC so it doesn't sieze up.

BDC is 'Bottom Dead Center'.
Find that position, with the piston all the way down, then put a mark on the top of the flywheel. Each time the engine shuts down during break in, rotate the flywheel to BDC, and allow it to cool completely.

as far as breaking in the engine there are a few popular ways check out this artical should give you some idea of whats up..... http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/default.asp?cmd=view&articleid=1054

BDC is bottom dead center..meens puting the piston at the bottom of its stroke this always should be done after running whether your breaking it in or after normal running..

the cylinder inside your engine tapers or gets slightly smaller at the top thats how it gets its commpression so whenever you shut off your engine long enough for it to cool down you should turn your flywheel over by hand untill you get past the "pinch" or tightest spot... turn it over by hand a few times youll then have a good guess where the middle is between the tight spots and youll be near the bottom of the stroke

i just do the 5 tank process recomended by traxxas: Tank 1-quarter throttle on 2 count, let cool for 15 minutes. Tank 2-half throttle on 2 count, let cool for 15 minutes. Tank 3-half throttle on 3 count, no cooldown. Tank 4-full throttle on 3 count, dont allow shift into second, no cooldown. Tank 5-full throttle on 5 count(accelerate over 3 seconds then hold for 2 more)

os says to flood the engine because they have problems with their bearings wearing out prematurely.

If you ask this question to 1000 people, you'd probably get 850 different answers. I personally like to use the "Heat Cycle" Method. It's also been labled as Stephen Bess's Break-in Method. The other thing I like to do is use a $40 heat gun to heat the engine up to 200 degrees before I fire it. Then I may also wrap the head in aluminum foil and or a beer cozy to make sure I keep the temps required for the heat cycle method.

Do a lot of research on the subject before you break it in. Also, the manufactures way of doing it may not be the best way to do it.

thanks for all the replies.

I'm seriously thinking of paying my LHS $60 to break it in for me.
I'm not finding a lot of threads of proper engine break in.

Engines are really easy to break in, its just the patience that doesn't come as easily. I personally think that YOU should break in your own engine. Although you may be nervous, it is a good experience. I know i was nervous when i was breaking in my sirio .27. It was my first expensive engine. Still isn't broken in, i need parts!

wils, here's an example of how to do the heat cycle method:

Fire up the engine, set the car on the ground and start running it while slightly rich. Do not run it hard, but get the temps up to about 180-190. Run it for 2-3 minutes, shut it off, allow it to cool down completely with the piston at BDC. After it has cooled, repeat the above step until you have ran it a total of 15 minutes (about 5 cycles).
Now go to 3-4 minute intervals, and get the temps around 200-210. Remember to allow the engine to cool completely after each cycle. After about 25-30 minutes total time of cycling you are ready to race tune your engine.

It's not hard. :)

You really should do it yourself, rather than pay the LHS.
Not only does it break in the engine, but it breaks in the new driver. It gives you a chance to get the feel of steering and braking, as well as learning the early basics of the engine.
Patience is the key. Do it right, and you'll be rewarded with a reliable long lasting engine.