Can I throw my lightning rr threw a window? Starter problems help. And more

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6_dman_6

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok, I got rid of my roto start because it kept breaking. So I got a new pull start on my lightning RR. I can pull the pull start perfectly and it doesn't make the engine turnover or has the muffler go plop or w/e. I think it's put together correctly but I'm not sure. Help please.

check to make sure you put the one way bearing on the right way. if u did put it on backwards then it will slip when you pull it and would grab turning the opposite way.

Last edited:
I second AC48 on the oneway bearing, double check it. Also starter box's are the way to go.

your one-way may be slipping, or you just might've put it on the wrong way.

oh, and if you feel like throwing your lightning out the window, STOP. pm me and we'll arrange a way for you to send it to me.

It all depends. How big is the window?

The window probably will cost about 10 times more than the car. I don't care about the car anymore. I tried that. And the darn thing is slipping.

Did you try to turn the bearing around if you did then your one way bearing could be shot so purchase a new one. It will be alot easier to do that then lose the money from the car and the window.

If the 1-way was on backwards, the pull start wouldn't recoil right (the spring doesn't have the balls to crank the mill backwards).

Roto's just plain suck in the long run, period. Sure, they might seem cool at first, but you'll eat up 1-ways and starter shafts pretty quick, then your nutz are swinging in the breeze at the track (or bash site). Did I mention that roto's suck? I had one once, not now though. Oh yeah, always remember: roto's suck.

If you got any oil in the one way bearing it won't grab hold either. In which case you need to clean it out with a spray cleaner that leaves no residue. Leave the one way bearing DRY, don't use any kind of lube on it.

Can I throw my lightning rr threw a window...

I love your style.......I combine my skateboard pissy fit throwing skills alogn with my goddamn storm when it breaks everytime i back flip it off something.

I'm with LarryA - the one way bearing has to be clean. It's a good habit to get into when you've got your PS or RS off. And yeah I agree rotostart seems pretty gay.

To clean it, use pure isopropyl alcohol. Put some in a small container, and leave the one way bearing in it for a little while. And like Larry said, DONT lube. The bearing has to be completely dry to work properly.

The trouble is, a small amount of oil leaks from the backplates bushing into the bearing over time, and that's why regular cleaning keeps your crappy PS functioning tip top.

Sorry guys, I couldn't reply my notification was down. Well I found a crap load of oil or some poop on the what ever you wana call it. I'm think of putting hot water on it then blowing it of with a compressed air thing my friend has. Would that work? Also if you have a instant messenger add me for quick help. I always need help with something.. My msn is [email protected] my yahoo is the same with out @hotmail.com. I wasn't able to drive this all winter and I'm just so frusterated with it. I still love being the fastest in my city too. But I need a few more parts. I need some thingymijigs. Also something to make it faster. I'll bring that up when I get this fixed. Also I have gas that's probably over 9 months old. I hadn't used it at all, is it still god? It's a full gallon I put some in and primed it. I'll drain it if it isn't good. The pull start was working good before but I had a bad glow plug. I know for sure I have oil on that thing hooked to the engine that rotates the fly wheel and cyclinder thing. Well Help please.

does anyone no much on this kind of stuff?

Uh, I'll try to follow along on this. If you store your fuel in a cool dark place, it should stay "good" for quite a while. Granted, old fuel doesn't burn as well as brand new fuel, but I have run fuel that was over a year old before with acceptable results.

Do not clean your bearing with hot water. Water does not cut oil, even when heated. It will also cause rust if it's not completely dried out. I use denatured alcohol and/or nitro cleaner when I douche my 1 ways. Both of these are solvents for oil, and have a very high evaporation rate.

Ya kind of lost me on the last third of that post.

ok dont worry about the last third of the post. Anyways I've heard that gas for the nitro cars also works. Is that true or no? If not where can I get these products?

Gas, as in gasoline, like what you put in full size cars? No. Bad idea.

You can get denatured alcohol at hardware stores and nitro cleaner at your LHS normally.

Personally, I use alchohol with a paper towel. I twist a paper towel so that it fits inside the bearing, then I douse it with alc and spin the bearing on the towel. Also, all these guys recommend no oil, but it's a bearing guys! It needs a little oil or it will wear out on you. What it doesn't need, is the gunk that comes through the backplate from the 250 degree engine it's attached to. Once you clean out the gunk, put a few drops of light oil (I use 3-in-1) in the bearing. Make sure to clean the shaft that rotates the bearing as well.

This is what I've been doing over the past few years and I only need to re-do the process about every 3 gallons or so. I've also never replaced a one-way. Never needed to. Just cleaned and lubed like I explained above.

Again, this is what I do and this is what works for me.

Last edited:
I meant the gas you use in RC cars. Well today I'll go to the hardware store and try to find this. What about finger nail alcohol stuff? I'd like getting this car going now. But if I have to I'll go to the hardware store.

Ryhton said:
I second AC48 on the oneway bearing, double check it. Also starter box's are the way to go.

Yea, starter boxes are fine, untill you hook them up wrong and you have a car going 40+ mph backwards down the track. lol. (never happened to me, never had a starter box, never want one)

ok I just need to know where can I get the stuff to get the oil off?

Back