Cadillac CTS-VR: Step by Step

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggyracer28

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Yo, this is my winter project along with MANY others lol (man I'm gonna be busy). Anyway, I decided to try Liquid Mask after that bleedfest disaster (mazda 6). My lhs only carries the Hobbico brand LM, so thats all I could use. It came in a tiny little can (3oz.) for $4.99! I only got 3 coats of it on my body and I scraped out the stuff to the last bit. Kinda dissapointing, but its working pretty well so far. Here are some pics of the body so far:

th_B4803.gif

th_B4805.gif

th_B4804.gif

th_B4807.gif

The only thing i dont like about the flames is that the side ones look faster then the front/top. O well. I'm having a hard time deciding which outline to use, black, red or white. Help? All the flames are going to be a Red/Orange/Yellow fade.

th_B4809.gif
(<i like this one)
th_B4808.gif

Ill keep you updated on every step. I hope this comes out ok, those side flames are HELL to cut the outlines.

Last edited:
i think your pics are a bit oversized.. but it looks good!!

YAY I fixed the pics! Thanks Beason.

Last edited:
Umm,Pyle your pic's are oversize but don't forget,white base,black outline,and becarful painting,watch your tape,And PUt my name on the body everywhere for my thougthfullness and non helping comments.

Buggyracer28 said:
ya thats why I'm trying to figure out how to make thumbnails. Thanks though.
Since you're using photobucket, click on the box nest to your pictures you want. Scroll to the bottom and click where it says "Generate HTML and IMG Codes" that will bring you to the next page. Copy and paste the codes for the thumbnails.

BTW, good start for your project.

Thanks Diver. Ill hopefully start painting tonight.

UPDATE: Sorry for the wait, I decided to upload my pics after I finished to save time and space on my comp. Anyway, I sprayed the outlines of the flames with 2 coats of black.

EDIT: Ohh, I forgot to tell you that I outlined the Windows before doing the fade.
***It is a good idea to do this before you put any paint on. I forgot to do this, so it didn't turn out AS good as I wanted, but still ok***

th_B4810.gif

Then after it dryed, I took off the LM on the inside of the flames and painted the fade.

NOTE: take 1 section off at a time and paint if you are painting two colors. The paint might accidently spray onto the other sections.

th_1f5c061d.gif

th_B4811.gif

th_B4812.gif

th_B4813.gif

I then took off the black covered LM, and threw it away, leaving clear. Looks much better, right?

th_B4815.gif

th_B4814.gif

Next, I painted the base coats (i did 3 coats, just to make it nice and bold).

th_B4816.gif

th_B4817.gif

th_B4818.gif

FINAL PRODUCT! :D

All cut out, and decaled up! Not bad for only my 6th body! I'm not going back to Masking Tape... No way. I love the clean lines the LM makes, no bleeds. (I messed up on the front window, so I had to use Masking tape. That was pretty much the only bleed. Tell me what you think!!!!!!!!! I'm open to all comments :)

th_B4820.gif

th_B4821.gif

th_B4822.gif

th_B4825.gif

th_B4824.gif

Ill post pics of it mounted soon!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Thats wierd... The pics dont really show the side or the top fades. The top flames arent a solid color, and the side flames are pretty much identical to the front. O well.

Last edited:
Looks good! Looks exactly like what ya drew up! Nice work.

Thanks guys! Glad you like it! I can't stop looking at it myself lol

Last edited:
Oh, btw. This was 100% cans. NO AIRBRUSH. I dont even own a compressor lol. Alot of people werent believing me, so I decided to post it :D Ill have mounted pics tomorrow!

by cans?!?!?! holy crap. wow... i guess i should probably just get better at cans, now that I seen what they can do!

Alright guys... I Finally took mounted pics. I kept forgetting to do it lol, but here they are. I know I need better wheels...... but I'm getting foams soon so that will fix the problem.

TEAM RCNT- Representin' :)
th_B4833.gif

th_B4832.gif

th_B4838.gif

Bought myself a new 3 Racing chassis for christmas :D

th_B4836.gif

Last edited:
Lookin good man! (That decal caught my eye ;) ) I really like the shape of that body.

Yup! lol. Thanks 4u. The front was really hard to line up because I didn't cut the holes before I painted it (i never do). So I had to put the body where I wanted it, and mark the holes with a sharpie on the outside of the body. It worked ok for the rear, but the front is a couple mm off. I think its fine though.

Back