Buying a new engine. Suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogyman1313

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone I'm looking to replace the 5.9 on my savage XL. Should i just go with the HPI 5.9 or?????? I'm looking to spend about $200-$300. Also any clutch suggestions? Thank you all in advance i really appreciate all of yalls help

If you don't have any issues with the K5.9 currently, and are OK with the difficult tuning, then there's no reason why not just to stay the same. You could look at getting a LRP .30, as I've heard they are pretty good. As for clutches, reds racing make some great ones- however I've never been able to buy one due to shipping costs being more than the clutches value...

OS also makes great engines. As far as clutches go, I really like Werks Racing 4-shoe clutches. They're durable and easy to adjust.

It's been a few years, but I"ve seen an OS30 and LRP30 run in very similar trucks. The LRP had it hands down.

I never thought about it, but the 5.9 is a .36. I've never seen one run so I can't speculate how it would compare to anything. I know I like my LRP28's a lot. Well, after the break-in and about a gallon of fuel... Tune pretty easy, run with temps from 210-250 all day long, lots of rpm's and decent torque. They are thirsty though, but guessing the 5.9 is too.

I never tried the lrp30 or 32 myself. A basher friend had one in his LST2 while mine (aftershock) had an lrp28. The setups were quite a bit different, but his seemed to have more grunt than mine. I ran smaller tires and higher gearing than he did. He ran stock tires which to me always made the LST* handle like a pig and really labor the engine. The 30 didn't seem to have much issue with what he was asking of it. Mine was geared quite a bit higher than his, so I could take him in distance, but he had plenty of power to gear up.

Yep for a Savage it's hard to beat the LRP's mentioned above and I might even suggest the F4.6 (one of my favorites) over the 5.9 but I've never owned a 5.9.
I think the LRP .28 is the best engine for a Savage.

WOW ok cool thank you all for the input i think I'm going to stay with the 5.9 and I'm looking into the werks racing 4 shoe clutch thanks to all again