Buying a house

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Have you ever been so ticked off you really wanted to choke the living poop out of someone? Here's the story:

Over a month ago I went house hunting and found a perfect house that was for sale. The owner said he was moving out on the 30th of June and was also offering $3000 cash for carpet replacement and interior painting. I researched the cost of painting and carpets and found that $3000 would only cover one or the other but not both so I asked for $4000 and a warranty paid for by him. He agreed and a closing date of the 7th of July was set.

Now on the 2nd I find out that the house has not gotten the appraisal back from the VA and a closing of Tuesday looked grim. Later I found out that VA would not allow the closing until the inside was painted and the carpets replaced. I also learned that the seller still had not moved out nor was able to get a U-Haul until the 6th or possibly the 7th.

After talking with my realitor and the seller we aggreed that the seller and I could paint the house this weekend and get carpeting in on Monday. I found a carpet company that would be able to take out the old carpet and install new carpet from start to finish on Monday after the house was painted and I could close on the Tuesday the 13th. I figured this was acceptable but I had to be out of my apartment no later than 15th so I would only have 2 day to move. I knew it would be difficult but it could be done.

I went out yesterday and bought, out of pocket, $300 worth of paint, sprayer, masking tape and so forth so that I could get the house painted. I figured that the masking was going to be the long and involved process because I could spray everything inside in under half a day. I told the seller I would leave work early today so that I could go over and help mask the house so we could shoot the first coat of paint first thing tomorrow morning.

Upon arrival I noticed an odor of cat PISS in the carpets that had not been there previously but I still figured that it was in the carpet/padding which would be replaced in 3 days anyway. I also learned that the owner had a U-Haul for 3 freaking days and it was only 1/3 full. It honestly did not even look like they were moving the way the house looked. I was thinking this is 9 days after they were supposed to be out and they still were not done freaking packing!

Anyway the owner expressed a mild interest in using rollers as well as a sprayer in the house so that we didn't have to mask as much. I figured that this was a pretty good idea using both and we might be able to get done faster using this method. I did notice that the last time he did any painting he didn't remove anything off the walls and paint, he just painted around it. The back of my mind is telling me at least 2 coats to cover up his piss poor paint job.

We kind of got into a squable because I was really getting ticked off at the guy who was still not moved out 9 days after his original date. I was also ticked off at the fact that he was telling me how to paint the house I am planning on living in for 10 - 20 years. The schmuck is bitching about the fact he couldn't pay for a motel until after closing. I am honestly thinking he didn't just wake up a month ago and say, "hmmm, honey, I'm going to sell the house and move to Maine." Rationally I would think he might have had more to the planning than that but it's looking like his planning was way less than that. I have known that I am moving there for a month and have done just about everything I could think of to both save money as well as everything to be ready for a move. Guess he didn't start thinking about moving until last week.

The plot thickens....

He's been kind of dragging his heels about using a paint sprayer the whole time. Giving a reason that it'll take more time to mask and paint with a sprayer than it will to paint and pray you don't get paint anywhere you don't want it with a roller instead of masking. All this while he's murmoring a little about his pets and a paint sprayer.

Never in my life have I heard gentle, subtle, obvious, nor blatent hints. I've always been more of a bottom line type person. Finally the seller gets off his high horse and says, "you will not spray the house until my cats are out on Monday." I tried a little reasoning with him but I was talking to a brick wall. No compromise. No nothing.

Ok, I'll start masking and painting on Monday then. Now I'll probably be set for a closing on Friday and have next weekend to move in but I guess that's how it was supposed to be. Unfortunately the down side. I knew deep down I wanted to spray the house. I knew 3 people rolling a house over the weekend would not allow for 2 coats of paint which were needed.

The down side is this, my apartment complex allows residents to close their lease on only the 1st or the 15th, definately catered to the military. Thursday is the 15th so I will really have 15 days to move my stuff from my apratment to my house at a leasurely pace instead of a frantic pace as I was being forced into. True I do have to fork out a full month's rent instead of the half month's rent I was planning but I guess it's better this way. I look forward to next week wondering what bullshit the seller will dredge up for that but I will think about that next week.

Oh yeah, did I piss and moan when I found my snakes doing the dirty deed yesterday? I knew full well the snakes would need a 2 - 3 weeks to be done with the dirty deed before I should think about disturbing them but I was willing to do this in the name of moving. I guess the hardest part of the situation I find hardest to swallow is that the seller is not willing to have his inside cats breath the same paint fumes from a sprayer than they would from a roller nor would he allow them to be put in a dog carrier and left outside for the weekend. I knew he had a huge dog carrier because I saw it when I was looking at the house.

sounds like your buyin a house from a complete moron if you ask me. He painted around pictures? holy crap, can he get any lazier? Personally, I hate rolling paint. Maybe just cuz I suck at it. I'm too freakin anal to deal with not getting enough on or whatever... I'd much rather spray. i don't think either way is any quicker really.. probably just comes down to whichever suits you better. Some people are efficient at masking while other can just cut in with a brush. I mask better. Just think about the end of the whole ordeal.. you'll have a house all to yourself. :)

I can cut with a roller and a paint sprayer better than most. In this situation I will mask anyway but I'm still ticked off at the schmuck.

Hey El I wish you luck on this, it is to bad that the seller is such a clown. In the end all of this frustration will be worth it. There is nothing like having your own place. To bad you live so damn far away or zandor and I could have given you a hand. Well take a deep breath and think how nice it will be to kick it in your new diggs. Good luck. :cheers:

Good luck with the new pad EP...
I dont know though... The 1st wiff of cat piss, & I woulda ran for the hills...
That smell doesn't leave to easily....

That thought crossed my mind several times today. The house is built on a slab so the smell will not easily sdaturate the concrete very well. A few times today I thought about grabbing my 45 and going over there to give him a hint that I want him the hell out of there but that would probably have some negative side effects so I opted against it.

I would suggest that you be present when the carpet and pad is ripped out. You can then see where the cat piss was and pour this stuff called Natures Miracle on the spots. Let it sit for a little bit before you wipe off the excess. It works best if you actually leave it there and let it dry naturally. Just let the carpet guys put the new pad right over the wet spot. It will eliminate any left over odor in the concrete or sub-floor. You can get Natures Miracle at Petco or Petsmart etc.

I would contact your real estate lawyer and suggest to hold some money in escrow (sp?) till things are taken care of to your satisfaction.

i paint houses for a part time living and you aint going to beat the sprayer also make sure they change the pad alot of sellers save them some money by pulling the old "you said change the carpet" oh the pad too? i deal with realtors all day long along with home owners and i can say i've seen them all a bunch of assholes,i have my own business doing cleaning, repairs,plumbing, elec., painting, carpet cleaning, and home addition/extentions, and i see all these people all the time good luck and just have some pateints it will be ok congrats on the new house...