Bullet 3.0 Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
It’s probably my fault, hopefully something simple that I’m just looking over, but I’m hoping for advice on what to check for maintenance.
Problems seemed to have started after sitting for a while. I previously upgraded my servos on the bullet, sealed the engine and ran it for a few days with a couple things that were soon sorted out and ran great.
I let the car sit for some time and pulled it back out and was having tons of problems.
The car just wants to take off and will not sit still at idle even with the brake trim fully applied, it will still crawl with the brake applied, but does not seem to rev high.

Any recommendations is much appreciated! I’ve set the needles back to factory and tried to reset them as well with the same results.
Could it be something with the slipper clutch?

It could be the clutch ,but that doesn't make your engine rev!

What makes your engine rev ,would be it leaning out ,it sounds more like a dirty tank filter
from sitting ,restricting the fuel ,also check pressure tube that goes to the muffler ,as when fuel
sits ,it will leave a very sticky residue!

Never let the engine rev an keep the brake on ,that's a garrantee to fry your clutches!:cool:

It could be the clutch ,but that doesn't make your engine rev!

What makes your engine rev ,would be it leaning out ,it sounds more like a dirty tank filter
from sitting ,restricting the fuel ,also check pressure tube that goes to the muffler ,as when fuel
sits ,it will leave a very sticky residue!

Never let the engine rev an keep the brake on ,that's a garrantee to fry your clutches!:cool:
The engine isn’t revving high when the RC wants to move forward at idle

The engine isn’t revving high when the RC wants to move forward at idle

Then that will be your clutch springs or spring!
Some clutches have a single spring that goes completely around the shoes!

Springs are only a couple bucks ,but sense you have to take the engine off an clutch bell ,
you might want to upgrade to a better clutch system!....:cool:

You just have to have the will to do so!....:hehe:

Then that will be your clutch springs or spring!
Some clutches have a single spring that goes completely around the shoes!

Springs are only a couple bucks ,but sense you have to take the engine off an clutch bell ,
you might want to upgrade to a better clutch system!....:cool:

You just have to have the will to do so!....:hehe:
That’s what I wanted to do, but wasn’t sure what to upgrade to.

I've been searching for clutch shoe upgrades ,but haven't had any luck for your truck!

That set up ,when the shoe wears so far ,exposes the spring ,then the spring starts to ride on-
to the bell in which causes the spring to break!

I use a 3 shoe set up on all my rides ,they have separate springs ,but if you change ,you will
need to replace the fly wheel ,an it may alter the position of how the bell gear lines up with
the spur gear ,or slipper gear.

I'm not sure on the adjustability of your engine mounts ,an if you have enough room for
that specific upgrade ,an not sure if there is a specific clutch upgrade for that model!

Might just want to consider just upgrading to aluminum shoes for that model ,or if
another brand may enter change ,Traxxes clutch shoes might ,but take note ,the gear
pitch may not!

It's your clutch. There like 2 pound lol . You might need a clutch removal tool to remove the clutches. Is it a 2 clutch shoe or 3 clutch shoes? It may also be your bearings have dirt in it causing it to seize. That would cause your problem

It's your clutch. There like 2 pound lol . You might need a clutch removal tool to remove the clutches. Is it a 2 clutch shoe or 3 clutch shoes? It may also be your bearings have dirt in it causing it to seize. That would cause your problem
Late reply, been busy!

I pulled it apart right around when i posted this, it’s a 2 shoe clutch, they seemed far too smooth to feel like they’d catch at all. Could be the problem?
What are some good clutch shoes to run?

Also, Shouldn’t be dirty, I clean it pretty well after most runs and recently pulled it apart.

Late reply, been busy!

I pulled it apart right around when i posted this, it’s a 2 shoe clutch, they seemed far too smooth to feel like they’d catch at all. Could be the problem?
What are some good clutch shoes to run?

Also, Shouldn’t be dirty, I clean it pretty well after most runs and recently pulled it apart.
It's the spring. I suggest you go with the Ftx carnange NT 3 piece clutch shoe. It works pretty well and will be a good upgrade. ?:hyperbuggy:

You can scuff the shoes and the clutch bell with a scrubby pad. If the shoes are smooth and shiny it means they got glazed from running too hot and slipping. That cuts WAY back on their 'grab'. If the spring or springs are worn, slipping against the bell at idle will definitely glaze them.

You can scuff the shoes and the clutch bell with a scrubby pad. If the shoes are smooth and shiny it means they got glazed from running too hot and slipping. That cuts WAY back on their 'grab'. If the spring or springs are worn, slipping against the bell at idle will definitely glaze them.
That’s exactly what they looked like, shiny and smooth. I did scuff them, but haven’t ran it since.

Did you check the clutch bearings when you had it apart? The fact that it's trying to move when you have the brake applied does sound like either the clutch spring isn't doing it's job, the cb bearings are seizing or your radio/servos aren't setup right. Which sounds odd if all it did was sit since the last time you ran it.

Did you run it in damp conditions the last time out?

Back