building piece by piece...anyone?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gummybear13

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So has anyone built a nitro from the ground up? if so what brand and/ or what brand would be a good choice?

then my next question would be where is a good source for parts?

please share pics if possible.

I am thinking of building a really strong beefy built proof the long and patient way.:whhooo:

Lol, funny you should mention it. I just posted yesterday about the same thing. I'm going with a Losi LST, based on what I've been hearing and reading, it's one of the strongest out there.

For parts, try ebay, craigslist, and the usual online/local hobby shops. My lhs has a clearance box that I go through every time I walk in, and I can usually find part at half price.

ok, so I left out some info...like what kind of vechicle I want to build. I want to do a basher...but I really like the looks of the jato. but I know for a fact that it will be bashed more than raced.

I was looking at (i assume) one of our sponsors site's (east something)
and it looks like the revo is very well covered by the aftermarket...

but I am really still up for suggestions before I start this project.

alien 13 nice choice on number by the way.

ok for the business end, I have been reading your post and it helped me think this idea through a little more. If you can get stuff locally then you are better off. the shipping is a small concern on my end.

I have decided on a 20 dollar a week or every other week based on the prices I have seen on most chassis parts. the expensive stuff, ie radio stuff and motor will be the last to be purchased.

You'd be better off just buying a kit. Rounding up every last part and piece is going to be a pain.

I am sure that it would be fairly easy to just get a kit, but like I mentioned before, I really want to gain the experience and start in this hobby with the best truck I can build.
even if it takes a while to do so.

That's exactly why you should get a kit. You will have to build every last part of the vehicle. But you'll also have the correct hardware. And instructions. Even something as simple as threading a screw into a tranny case that is too long will set you back time and money. Besides, you'll have enough extra money spent on getting every single part shipped to you to cover half of the electronics. If your goal is to spend $400 and end up with a $200 kit, then buying a vehicle piece by piece is the way to go. This hobby is expensive enough going about things the right way. But, as always, to each their own.:)

the only rigs I've seen built from scratch are the old t-maxxes and that is because nothing on them stock was worth keeping for very long..

I agree with beason. I've been slowly upgrading my Tmaxx cause the stock parts are junk. The torque on the steering servo is junk. Currently looking for a nice hi-tech steering servo. Or something of the sort. This is exactly why Tmaxx has so many upgrades. The stock parts need to be replaced. I love my Tmaxx, don't get me wrong. But if you're bashing it stock, forget it. Just my opinion.

you need a hotbodies D8T. Professional race kit for only 300$$ you still have to get a engine, radio and servos. But you get to build a kit (which is half the fun to me) just buy it a piece at a time. You will be so glad you got a kit!!