Building a beast... best X-Maxx electronics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReeV0

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello X-Maxx owners,

I am seriously considering buying an X-Maxx. Been keeping my eye out for a rolling chassis but they seem hard to come by, so have accepted the fact that I may just have to buy new and sell the stock esc & motor.

I'd like to put in a power setup that would allow for at least 60mph reliably (on road), with no stress or heat issues. In the past I have a Revo 3.3 with a .32 engine, then had an Xray 808 with a Nova .28, and now at the moment I've got an Arrma Talion with a TP40107... I have a habit of trying to fit in the biggest powerplant I can.

Going by the research that I've done, it seems the Hobbywing Max5 & Hobbywing 56113 is a very popular option. However, most of the speeds recorded on youtube seem to average 55mph, which is only 5mph quicker than stock. Another popular option is the Castle MMX8 & Castle 2028. Trouble is, I don't really want to spend upwards of £300 on a new power system, and also don't want to be shattering gears and spurs every time I drive it!!

I've compiled a list of possible esc & motor options, if anyone has experience with any of these in an X-Maxx, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts...

Esc:

- Hobbywing Max5
- Castle XLX
- Castle XLX2
- Castle Monster Mamba X 8s

Motor:

- Hobbywing 56113
- Leopard 58113
- Castle 2028
- SSS 56114
- SSS 56123
- Surpass Hobby Rocket/HobbyStar 56112
- Surpass Hobby Rocket/HobbyStar 70120

Thanks for any advice

Hello X-Maxx owners,

I am seriously considering buying an X-Maxx. Been keeping my eye out for a rolling chassis but they seem hard to come by, so have accepted the fact that I may just have to buy new and sell the stock esc & motor.

I'd like to put in a power setup that would allow for at least 60mph reliably (on road), with no stress or heat issues. In the past I have a Revo 3.3 with a .32 engine, then had an Xray 808 with a Nova .28, and now at the moment I've got an Arrma Talion with a TP40107... I have a habit of trying to fit in the biggest powerplant I can.

Going by the research that I've done, it seems the Hobbywing Max5 & Hobbywing 56113 is a very popular option. However, most of the speeds recorded on youtube seem to average 55mph, which is only 5mph quicker than stock. Another popular option is the Castle MMX8 & Castle 2028. Trouble is, I don't really want to spend upwards of £300 on a new power system, and also don't want to be shattering gears and spurs every time I drive it!!

I've compiled a list of possible esc & motor options, if anyone has experience with any of these in an X-Maxx, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts...

Esc:

- Hobbywing Max5
- Castle XLX
- Castle XLX2
- Castle Monster Mamba X 8s

Motor:

- Hobbywing 56113
- Leopard 58113
- Castle 2028
- SSS 56114
- SSS 56123
- Surpass Hobby Rocket/HobbyStar 56112
- Surpass Hobby Rocket/HobbyStar 70120

Thanks for any advice
Have you thought about gearing it up? That might help. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the heat problems

Have you thought about gearing it up? That might help. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the heat problems
I was under the impression that gearing up with the stock system would result in heat issues. Hence the need to upgrade to a more powerful esc and bigger motor

there really isn't much you can do to avoid the heat issues. You could get a han and heat sink for your motor and esc, and a more powerful motor might help. but I've never seen or heard of anyone pushing an X-maxx pash 50mph. they just aren't designed for that

I would personally just use the stock electronics until something breaks and then upgrade from there that way you at least have a baseline to make better decisions about what to buy later on. That being said if I were gonna upgrade to something else, Id personally probably go with the CC XLX2 ESC and Id go with the CC 1717 1Y 1650kv motor if your intention is to do speed runs with it and you never plan on going bigger than 8S. If you plan to go higher than 8S then I might start looking at something like the CC 2028 1100kv motor.

there really isn't much you can do to avoid the heat issues. You could get a han and heat sink for your motor and esc, and a more powerful motor might help. but I've never seen or heard of anyone pushing an X-maxx pash 50mph. they just aren't designed for that
My PB with my Xmaxx is 65mph 8s.
HobbyWing Max5 ESC
CC 2028-800kv motor
WFO 1.5mod, P-30t, S-33t
Savox SW-2290 servo
Proline Badlands non belted

I’m waiting for another set of WFO gears to arrive. 1.5mod P-40t & S-35t.

My PB with my Xmaxx is 65mph 8s.
HobbyWing Max5 ESC
CC 2028-800kv motor
WFO 1.5mod, P-30t, S-33t
Savox SW-2290 servo
Proline Badlands non belted

I’m waiting for another set of WFO gears to arrive. 1.5mod P-40t & S-35t.
Why are you doing speed runs on non-belted off road tires?

Back