Brushless systems, transmitters and receivers, transponders, 2s lipo batterys, shocks and more

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
1.Power systems - Is the traxxas vxl 3s with the 3500 kv motor good for racing? If not what other systems would you recommend. I want a 3500kv motor so I can race with it.
2. transmitters and receivers - What are good transmitters and receivers. I was thinking about getting all traxxas TQI with the link module so I can view car stats on phone. Also would I be able to only have one transmitter and hook it up with different receivers so I don't need to figure out which controller goes with what car.
3. Transponders - I don't know that much info about transponders. I want to know If i can only have one and switch transponders into different cars, for example if I am not racing my slash I can take my transponder out and put it in my rustler.
4. 2s lipos - What are good lipo battery's and how to charge them(cause I have no knowledge about lipos, had all nimh batteries )
5. Shocks - I was looking at the traxxas GTR shocks and the proline prospec shocks.
6 Shock towers - RPM plastic, Aluminum or carbon fiber? Planning on racing and I think the carbon fiber shock towers will be better because it is lighter.
7 - Diff/trans - Still running the stock trans/diff in my cars. Because I am converting to brushless would the diff hold up to the power? If not which one would you choose - Traxxas magnum 272r (same one out of the drag slash) or proline.

I will try to answer what I can.

1. The VXL-3s system is absolutely garbage. I have it and it constantly overheats with low gearing and on 2s. This motor and esc combo are within the specs and are priced nicely.

2. Steer clear from all Traxxas electronics, they are terrible. A RC4GS will work great for you.

3. No idea about transponders, I recommend searching it up.

4. CNHL 2s LiPos. You need a proper LiPo charger, you will need a dual or quad charger for racing. This is a great source of information. This quad charger is fairly priced and can charge 4 LiPos at the same time. This is a great LiPo, but it’s currently not in stock. You will need to solder on a different connector for that LiPo. For connectors, I strongly recommend IC5 as it’s easy to solder, is cheap, can handle a high amount of amps, and it’s a very common connector for larger RCs. Never use adapters in an RC!!!

5. No idea about shocks, I’m still rocking my stock ultra shocks in my Slash 2wd.

6. RPM all the way, you won’t have to worry about it breaking like stock and carbon fiber. Weight reduction is very hard and expensive for the Traxxas 2wd RCs since they’re not made for racing.

7. My stock diff holds up to brushless really well.

EXTRA. Make sure you have ball bearings and not brass bushings as bushings don’t roll as smoothly as BBs.

If you want a vxl, id go castle esc. That was the hot ticket back in the day. Another choice is the 3800 castle system.

I had traxxas radios, atleast 5 long antenna ones, and 3 different 2.4ghz. They are ok, but I consider it low budget. I'm actually lookimg to try another brand, but its because I feel I need longer range. The trx 2.4antenna is sensitive on the reciever.

I'm on my second smc. The cbhl brand linked is my next one because of GreyWolfs testing.

As for shocktowers, Id go cf or aluminum only if needed to prevent flexing in the corners.

The tranny is fine. Trust me. I used to put heavy tires, dead stop full throttle seeing how far I can spin, and even grass to concrete. Spur tightened all the way. Racing is nicer then what I did. I broke 2 vxl rotors. The more important thing would be healthy new bearings with no slop.

Back