Breaking in first engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Virgin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK so having played with the RC Chinook and Apache etc I decided to go all out on a Nitro Buggy which is heaps more complicated to get set up, never having had one before. So I get the gear charge the igniter, pump fuel to engine, drop some drips into the carb, replace the air filter start pulling the cord with the fully charged igniter attached and after a while hey presto we have noise and blue smoke. Yippee lets start breaking the Engine in for the first time!! Ok so this happens twice and I have forgotten to take the Igniter Off the car in the initial excitement. So, said engine stalls again and sizzling and smoke continues followed by the rip pull no longer pulling. Does this mean I need replacements or is there anything else I can do???
Any advice for a nitro virgin breaking in the first engine welcomed!!!

Could just be that you've flooded it and the piston is hydrolocked.

Take out the glow plug, turn the buggy upside down and pull the start a few times quickly. It should spray the fuel in the crank case out on the ground.

Put the glow plug back in, heater on the plug for a few seconds before trying again so it can burn the fuel off the plug.

Preheat the engine with a hair dryer. It will expand the sleeve making starting easier. it will also help it idle better.
Remember to just use your forearm to pull the cord. It is not a Briggs and Straton.
Short quick pulls, no pun intended!
If what olds recommended does not work, the piston may be stuck at top dead center.
Turn the flywheel with some pliers or a flat blade screwdriver to free it up. Preheating the engine for the first few starts will help prevent this from happening.

Cheers Olds and Scrogg - Will give it a go!

yea sounds like a hydrolock to me, do what they said do not stick anything down the glowplug hole to push this piston like my freind did!!! bad idea lol

Back