Brand new NITRO 4TEC 3.3 (Engine works spins, wheels dont work?)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewkm

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So i got my brand new model 4807 traxxas nitro 4tec yesterday.
This morning I went to begin the break in procedure. I followed all steps accordingly except ONE! I forget my body at home for steps 2 thru 5.

In the middle of step 4 on my full speed 3 second or so passes (Not letting it hit 2nd gear, although once or twice it did) the wheels stopped responding. I pressed the gas on the controller, and the engine worked, the belts spin, the exhaust/resonator or whatever you call it spit out blue smoke as usual, but wheels, nothing.

Also now I'm having problems starting my car and keeping it running, it starts, then 2 seconds later shuts off. I changed the glow plug and air filter but no help. I'm guessing its the idle or high speed needle or something not sure, but that I can fix.

I'm MAINLY concerned about the wheels not responding anymore. What can be wrong? What should I look into, I dont wanna take anything apart that I dont have to.

Please help.

Sounds like a case of the blown clutch shoes?

Check the slipper and make sure it's not too loose.

Check the slipper and make sure it's not too loose.

+1. Is this a very common Traxxas issue? I had the exact same issue on my Revo...and it continues to happen occasionally. Thinking I'm going to replace the slipper nut and see if that helps?

i tried almost everything :(
Please help guys ahh

Ill post a video on youtube for you guys maybe that will help...... As soon as i can.
PS: Which part is the slipper?
Can you maybe give me the part number, so i can look it up in the booklet that came with the car showing all the parts...I'm not sure what to check for being loose...eerything seems fine.

heres a video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCv-K45xtqA

Last edited:
i tried almost everything :(
Please help guys ahh

Ill post a video on youtube for you guys maybe that will help...... As soon as i can.
PS: Which part is the slipper?

The Slipper (slipper clutch) is the part of the car where the the engine has the option of spinning faster than the car will allow it to.... allowing the transmission and engine to disengage for a moment....

okay you have the engine, on the end of the engine you have the clutch bell, that's the part that has teeth on it. It moves a larger gear, that is the spur gear. The Slipper should be made into the spur gear, you'll notice a longer threaded piece of metal with a nut on it that appears to tighten everything down on the spur.... that is the nut you tighten. you don't want crank it down, you don't want to turn it into a direct drive system......

On-road cars like the 4-tec typically don't have slipper clutches and use a One Way Bearing (OWB) on the first speed gear within the transmission.
These OWB's sometimes get fried.
If your clutch bell is turning at engine speed, I'd suggest that you need to look at part # 4890 (at least this is the part # for a 2.5 4-tec - the links on the Traxxas site to the 3.3 manual aren't working).
The OWB should grab in one direction (turning the gear cluster so the tires etc move in the proper direction) and roll free in the other direction.

If your clutch bell isn't turning at engine speed, then I'd look at your clutch shoes/bell.

I watched the vid again - it's your OWB/1st speed gear that you need to tear down and look at. Clutch looks like it's working properly.

If it doesn't look like anything is broken, try cleaning it with denatured alcohol or nitro cleaner.
When you reassemble it, you don't want to run it dry.
I use a small amount of OWB bearing oil, some guys swear by WD-40.

Ahh i feel so stupid!
One of my gears on the engine was missing!
My first gear wasn't being spun, I'm such a dummy haha thanks for the help guys :)

Doh - I should have seen that!
It's been a while since I've ran an on road two speed and was looking at the 2nd speed gear moving thinking that it was the first speed gear...
Good catch!

Back