Brake ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My brake is getting a little worn and I want to replace it, any suggestions and info on what you guys are running would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A worn brake is fine just tightening the screws a bit and re-adjust it.
If you feel the need just get another stock disk. I have tried all the others 4 different ones in all and went back to the stock.

If you replace it I would advise doing the brake mod. It will increase the performance and make the pad last longer. All it costs is a ballpoint pen.
Here is a link

The Carbon disc brake by Traxxas is the best for less. It is cost effective and will definately make a difference in braking power. This disc also seems to wear a lot more evenly than stock.

The brake mod that Eddy has posted works VERY well. I think most who have read that mod have done it and liked it. I know I have.

-Chris

The carbon brake will last longer. I found that when it got wet it drastically faded and I had a hard time stopping. On the other hand the stock brake grabbed a bit when wet.

Either one is a good choice and the price is only a buck or two different.

IMO Stay away from the aluminum disks. They use a pad that glues on to the caliper and they love to come off and ball up, forget running them in wet conditions. Changing the pads is not a field fix.

I have just done the brake mod! I will drive my T-Maxx tomorrow and see how it goes.

Here's what I did with mine.
I sanded down the disk a bit to get all of the shiny surfaces off.
I then took the edge of a file to the pads and made lines about 2mm apart at a 45 degree angle from horizontal. This gave the pads some rough edges. This bit of work took my Maxx from a stopping distance of about 30 feet to about 10 feet.

sounds like a cool mod,if it works that well it is worth the work put into it.

good it will give the others a chance to catch you up in post counts;)

Using the brake mod you can grind a bit from the chassis and add a second disk and an additional pad. A duel brake setup.

do you really feel the need for 2 discs with a .15,it would be worth doing for a metal maxx,depends if you need to stop fast,but stay on your wheels.

Back