Brake problems..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller94

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys i was wondering how to fix my brakes, when i apply them fully they barley work at all and take a while to stop the truck, any ideas?

hey guys i was wondering how to fix my brakes, when i apply them fully they barley work at all and take a while to stop the truck, any ideas?

If you have tryed tightning them up and replaced the pads and disk you may be having the same trouble I was having with revo and I had to take a piece of fine sand paper and rough the disk up and it fixed my problem.

throttle and brake servo is combined it is an HPI SF-10W

My savage brakes SUCK. All new pads and tightened up and still suck. That and poor turning radius are my only complaints.

yea same for me man, other then the brakes and the turning radius the savage is amazing i love it, but it just pisses me off that the brakes dont work at all barely when they should. theres like a bit of black on my brake discs, could be grease or something. would that be causeing the problems?

Clean and tighten brakes. Other then that a strong ass servo is my only suggestion. Some people have no problems though. I don't mind too much, its a badger so I usually have plenty of space.

Try replacing the spring on the linkage with a piece of fuel tubing.

HPI SF-10W servo = Torque: 36.10oz/in (4.5kg/cm) @ 6.0V

No wonder you're having braking problems - that's a wimpy servo for the job.
Regardless of any cleaning and tightening that you're doing to the brake pads and discs, swapping out your current servo for a stronger one will shorten your braking distance.

I use one rated at 90 oz./in. @ 6.0v and can lock up my tires.
I can also make adjustments via my controller so I'm not locking them up, but you get the idea...

---------- Post added at 9:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:15 PM ----------

I'm also with Mudslinger on the fuel tubing suggestion.

I can tell you what i did. I took the screws out and ditched the little shims. Then i went to True Value and spent about 8 cents on a couple of washers and put them in place of the shims. I put some loctite on the threads and tightened everything up the brakes were completely locked so I backed the screws out about 1/8 of turn and the truck rolled free. I havent had a brake problem since.

Check your brake mechanism inside the transmission case. Could be behind to shear like my savage did

Try replacing the spring on the linkage with a piece of fuel tubing.

I can tell you what i did. I took the screws out and ditched the little shims. Then i went to True Value and spent about 8 cents on a couple of washers and put them in place of the shims. I put some loctite on the threads and tightened everything up the brakes were completely locked so I backed the screws out about 1/8 of turn and the truck rolled free. I havent had a brake problem since.

thanks guys, i replaced the springs with the fuel tube and tightened the screws up and now the brakes seem to be working perfect. i havent had a chance to actually try them with the truck moving cause I'm all out of gas but at least now the truck will not move back and forth just by me pushing it with the brakes on. :D