Bought Used T Maxx, no radio or receiver

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealcox17

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey, I bought a used T maxx and i need a radio and receiver. On Ebay there are numerous sets but they are different, some 2 channel, some 3 channel, etc. My T maxx has reverse, but the servo to control thats gone. what do i buy? Will a controller from a Revo or a Tmaxx 2.5 work. Mine is the 3.3

if you want reverse you need a 3 channel if not 2 channels are enough. any radio/receiver combo will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you. I'm not even sure i want reverse, honestly, but i guess having a 3 channel is best just in case. What is your opinion of reverse, and of changing the tranny to not have reverse?

truck is way stronger and more responsive without it. been 10 years since I've had a tmaxx but i got rid of my reverse when i had it. also ran a big block on it with no problems but i bet i would have had problems if the tranny had reverse

Robinson Racing makes the best forward only conversion in my opinion... (RRP)

Last edited:
Thanks.... Id like to convert it sometime. I can't really see a great benefit to having reverse.

saves some walking sometimes but the strength of the transmission is more important to me. once you get it going and see how it jerks when you take off you will go ahead and dump reverse :)

the only problem i had when i had reverse in my 3.3 was I put my diff.s in backwards and it was ripping reverse apart because of it, and I had some cheap driveshafts in it as well.. When done right I never have extra problems because of the reverse,,,, just make sure your idle is not to high.... and it should shift fine...... depends on your driving style if reverse works for you... I drive alot different when I am using one of mine that has reverse then when I am running one without reverse.. oh and yes your revo controller will work..... and traxxas controler/receiver set will work.... if you want to use reverse then 3 channel but if you dont want reverse a 2 channel wil work