bought hitec 645mg for my tmaxx 3.3 should i return it????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flopez82

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hello all,

i just received my hitec 645mg servo

i own a tmaxx 3.3 with servo 2070

i am just wondering if i made the right choice going with the 645mg or if i should have gotten a stronger one.

i have compared the specs of the two and I'm thinking i should have gone with a more powerfull servo. i got it so i can turn better on a tight dirt track.

what do you guys think??

i am also reading alot about a servo saver.....

does the 3.3 have this? where is it?? and where do i get the replacement??

thanks for all your help in advanced

the 645 will be an upgrade from stock. but not the strongest servo in the pile. it is however a good one for the money.

your 3.3 should have a servo saver on it.

look at the steering linkaged for an area that will give under pressure, (normally a spring on a shaft with two wedges smashed together) that is your servo saver

what servo should i get??

am i going to notice a difference with the 645???

that depends.. do you have a hump pack or are you running the 4 cell AA holder?

in order to take full advantage of the 645 you need the hump pack. then you will see a big difference.

i dont have the humppack i got the regular stock 4 aa holder

whats the difference does that bump it up to 6v stead of 4.8???

would the tower 995 be a better choice when it comes to steering??? stronger?? with or without the humppack

Last edited:
the 995 is stronger, but I've read a few people having issues with them. i have one on my ax10 and it wiggles. i just put one on my e-savage and so far its good. I've heard they wear out quickly.

neither servo will do very good with the 4AA holder. you will see a BIG difference if you add a hump pack. and yes it does bump it up to 6v.

ok todays mission is getting hump pack

I've read the 645 is a better servo all together so ill stick with it

any other suggestions? what do i do about servo saver i got the stock one on now??

btw thanks for all your advice

i think the stock one will be fine, is it the adjustable type? since you going to a metal gear servo you can tighten up the saver with out worrying about busting the servo.

this should be your servo saver, stock on the 3.3

4908-steering-system.jpg

i dont see where it is adjustable, but it is the better bellcrank style instead of the other one. you may be able to tighten down the side with the spring on it to stiffen it up though.

hump pack..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNMD7&P=7

Last edited:
If I were you I would have went with this servo, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRN6&P=ML it is the Hobbico Cs170 and has twice the torque of the 645, it is a rebadged Hitec 5955tg and puts out 333oz of torque, then use the 645 for your throtle/brake servo, and either way you go you will want a 6 volt receiver pack like beason said, the 4AA pack is 6 volts if you are running alkaline batteries but they can't give out the power as quickly as NiMh receiver pack can, if that makes any since...

neither servo will do very good with the 4AA holder. you will see a BIG difference if you add a hump pack. and yes it does bump it up to 6v.

If he's running standard alkalines then he's still at 6.0v. I can see that possibly a quality hump pack might output at a higher aperage than standard Duracells or Energizers but the power would be the same. However, if he's running rechargeable AA's in a 4 cell holder then yes, he's only at 4.8v and that just won't cut the mustard for steering a truck.

i know when i went from 4 AA alkalines to a hump pack it was a big difference, stronger and quicker.

If I were you I would have went with this servo, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRN6&P=ML it is the Hobbico Cs170 and has twice the torque of the 645, it is a rebadged Hitec 5955tg and puts out 333oz of torque, then use the 645 for your throtle/brake servo, and either way you go you will want a 6 volt receiver pack like beason said, the 4AA pack is 6 volts if you are running alkaline batteries but they can't give out the power as quickly as NiMh receiver pack can, if that makes any since...

the problem is current draw on small hump packs. My run time dropped dramatically when i put an 8711 on my savage. I opted for a quick 200oz futaba and never looked back.

i think the stock one will be fine, is it the adjustable type? since you going to a metal gear servo you can tighten up the saver with out worrying about busting the servo.

this should be your servo saver, stock on the 3.3

4908-steering-system.jpg

i dont see where it is adjustable, but it is the better bellcrank style instead of the other one. you may be able to tighten down the side with the spring on it to stiffen it up though.

hump pack..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNMD7&P=7

the spring IS the saver. It compresses when it gets too much force from either the wheels or the servo. Just tighten the nut to compress the spring until you get the desired tension

bluebird 630mg 181oz/in of torque, not a bad price. this is what i have on my maxx with the ofna 1700 5 cell hump, turns wheels on asphalt at a stand still no prob. check this place out. good pricing fast shipping
bphobbies.com

Back