Boost Bottles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro_Freak_22

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What are boost bottles and what do they do.

same as a nos system..

they dont work very good with rc.

just forget everything you read about bottles, chargers and kind.
best way to let your car run fast is to buy a 300 dollar rc engine.

:cheers:

ok seems like some good advice i am gonna get a new engine but not a 300 dollar engine.

its the new O.S. CV-RX .18 just 159 dollars or something like that

nitro freak...what will you be puting it into?

Actually, a boost bottle is supposed to help with throttle response. When an engine is coming down from high RPM's, there's lots of fuel rushing through and it has nowhere to go. The same can be said with acceleration.

The boost bottle "equalizes" the flow and gives the extra fuel a place to go so that the acceleration can be smoother and there's no stutter from flow interruption or pressure variances.

It's done by drilling and tapping a hole into your crank case and plumbing a line from there to an overflow receptacle (boost bottle). It's good in theory but really a waste of time. Good tuning and throttle control will get you better results vs a boost bottle. It's also another source for air leaks.

Not enough reasons for me to do it, more than enough to keep me from doing it.

Last edited:
retarted pilot I'm putting it in a duratrax street force gp the only car i have

I'm putting the engine in the sfgp not the boost bottle

i dont know if you have a starter box or use a pullstart but i have been turned on to ( thanks diver ) the sirio .12 evo2 it claims 1.6hp and 40,000rpm
the os cvrx .18 claims 1.35hp and 28,000rpm from what i read the rpm's can make as much or more difference than the hp on longer tracks... tower has the os cvrx .18 for $139 and the sirio .12 evo2 for $189

and with a .12 if you ever want to race your legal...or just racing friends with bigger engines it would be fun to do it with a "little" .12 smoking their .18's

I'm gonna buy one before spring for my ntc3

What happens to the fuel that goes into the bottle? And what happens once the bottle gets full? I've seen this done before but didn't know what it was for, and I'm not sure I still fully understand. Would this be an effort to conserve fuel? ................................ I'm not getting it :shrug:

Last edited:
The bottle doesn't get full and stay full, it flows back out to the engine. All it does is give contant fuel flow, especially with the on-road cars that are always screaming to the next corner and slowing down to take the turn. The constant on and off throttle movement causes an imbalance in fuel flow... so they say.

I don't run a boost bottle and don't really plan to install it in one of my italian based engines. Not worth "trying" on an engine that's close to, or above $300. It's also another source for an air leak. OS, I think, had it for a while but didn't seem to click. If anything, proper tuning should relieve many throttle issues.

the picco G1 Pro motors have a built in boost "bottle". its really nothing more than the hole in the side of the block up near the carb which diver mentions. personally i liked it, but i do agree with you diver- there just isnt enough justification to chance screwing up a high dollar motor. they seem to work fine on all motors that came with them, but I've never seen a motor run correctly after an aftermarket bottle was installed. while in principle they are good and work great, dont try to mess with the aftermarket ones.

the idea is to give the excess fuel a place to go when the motor isnt using it, and when the motor needs it (under acceleration), it will slowly pull that fuel out of the bottle and use it. without the bottle and a proper tune (rich lsn) the motor will load up with fuel and possibly choke itself when you leave the pits which will piss you off very badly!

in short- dont buy one. just learn to keep the lsn as lean as possible while still getting good performance and not starving the motor for fuel.

oh yeah- the os v99 and v01 had the built in boost bottle...notice how they took it off when the v-spec came out (maybe even the vz-b?). smart move. i never liked theirs anyway.

Last edited:
Back