Blitzer Beetle, need motor and esc advice please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berto

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been out of the sport for about 12 years and want to get my Beetle going again. It’s currently got a Mtroniks VPMAX esc and Brushed Fantom 404 team edition motor. I’ve got no voltage coming out of the esc and I’m guessing it’s dead. I’ve researched my current set up and not found out much. I don’t know how many turns the motor has or what the esc could cope with either.
So I figured I’d get a new esc/motor combo but I’m not sure where to start. I’m only going to be driving in the back garden and on local ground so no racing etc.
Can anyone recommend a suitable motor/esc combo? Not sure I need brushless unless there isn’t much price difference.
Also batteries, LiPo are now a thing, would an old charger work with them? I’ve just moved house and can’t find where I’ve put the charger yet or I’d post a pic and some more info of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 276
No dont think about using a Nixx charger on a lipo you will end up burning stuff down...get a designated LIpo charger...do you have a 12vpower supply?.. Id also readup on lipo batteries there not like NiCad or nimh...also get a lipo bag.....a lot of people like the Hobbywing esc motor combo I dont I have and always do like Tekin sure its more but with less issues on the long end...Id also go with a new era radio a 2.4ghz.flysky is ok..a lipo needs to be discharged to storage voltage never leave a lipo fully charged for more than 24hours....http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

maxamp also has a site for lipo info. dont buy there overrated batteries just use there info

Thanks for the info, I didn’t think my charger would work but figured it was worth asking before I even tried.
I might get a new RTR model if I need a new Rx and Tx as well as motor and esc.
My sonA (5 and 8yrs old) both like the look of the FTX Bugsta 1/10 brushes and as it’s £125 it looks like it will be cheaper to get that to scratch my RC itch and slowly upgrade the beetle. Plus if they destroy it I’ll not be so upset.

There are some ready to run RC that have a training mode switch on radio to allow new users to learn how to control them b4 turning 100% power on..and some remotes that allow user to set endpoints on Throttle to do the same thing...I like recommending the traxxas slash to new 1's as parts are cheap and the radios have the training switch option

Traxxas slash is more than twice price for the 2wd and 3 times the price for 4w. If I put a bit of sponge behind the trigger that will stop the kids going full power while they learn. Unless I can find a second hand one I think the Traxxas is going to be a hard sell to the wife. I appreciate your advice tho

Traxxas slash is more than twice price for the 2wd and 3 times the price for 4w. If I put a bit of sponge behind the trigger that will stop the kids going full power while they learn. Unless I can find a second hand one I think the Traxxas is going to be a hard sell to the wife. I appreciate your advice tho
If you want a cheap 4x4 that is fast out of the box the wltoy 12428 rock climber is like 90 bucks and does 30mph with nimh battery provided but can use lipo and get it closer to 35. Can put some money into it and upgrade to brushless motor and esc..I'd get all metal spur/pinion and differential gears if you upgrade it though. I upgraded mine and the plastic gears stripped so upgraded..it does like 45 now.